X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a horrible woman!!

In 1876 at Derby county court a Hannah Brewerton was fined for beating her
    4 year old step son.
    She was the landlady of Commercial House, Midlands Road, no town stated.
    Cannot find her either on ancestry or by googling.
    Any thoughts?
    Many thanks
    Jeanie
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

What is the source for the information you have?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There's a Midland Road in Derby itself, so that seems the likeliest place.

Comment

Hi Nell, it is from a report from the Derby paper found on the gale site.
        I have looked on the 1881 and 1891 census.
        Have also tried to find marriages between 1872 and 1876.
        Of course his age might have been recorded incorrectly.
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I have searched on there for commercial house and it looks as if that was the name given to any hotel or no doubt, a type of hotel.
          Have also searched for midland road.
          Off to search historical directories.
          Searching for:

Comment

If her step-son was aged 4 then you would expect Hannah had only married Mr B within the last four years. However, I can't see any marriages of Brewerton to Hannah X between 1872 and 1876.

Comment

Tried same with Ann/Annie etc. Still nothing.

Comment

Thanks for looking Merry.
                I too can't find anything. I suppose the son could be a different age from the newspaper report which made uncomfortable reading.
                The one good thing was that the police were involved, so they did not just dismiss it as a mothers right to beat her child.
                Searching for:

Comment

I don't think mothers had rights in 1876. I thought fathers had rights to beat their wives and their children.

Of course stepson mightn't be strictly accurate as a way of describing their relationship. But its odd you can't find any information about her.

Comment

hi,

i think you will find her name was Hannah Bruerton she married john Bruerton in
                    the meercat.

Comment

I can't find our map of Derby just at the moment, but I think Midland Road would be near the railway station and there would have been lots of hotels etc there.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hannah Hickling married John Bruerton
                        Jess

Comment

There is a John Bruerton death registered in Derby Mar 1900, age 70, and a Hannah Bruerton in Dec 1916 age 80. So they should be around on some censuses... if it's the same people of course! Hannah's surname was Hicklin when she married John.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

This could be them in 1891:

RG12; Piece: 2739; Folio 97; Page 14
                            New Normanton, Derbyshire. (part of Derby)
                            7 St James Road
                            John Bruerton Head M 61 Blacksmith Staffordshire Darlaston
                            Hannah Do Wife M 55 Derbyshire Chellaston
                            Emily Do Daur S 28 Machinist Do Derby
                            Florence Mary do Daur 10 scholar Do New Normanton
                            KiteRunner

Comment

There is a Hannah Hicklin baptism on the IGI at Chellaston, 14 Aug 1836, parents Samuel and Elizabeth.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

And on the 1881 census they have been mistranscribed as Bricerton (mind you, I think the 1891 transcriber did a good job to get Bruerton), but I can't seem to get the right image to load. Anyway, this is the reference:
                                RG11; Piece: 3388; Folio: 10; Page: 11;
                                The transcription says they are at 39 St James Road and there is a boy John H age 10 who would be the stepson in your report. There is also a Hannah Hicklin age 8 to show the marriage mentioned earlier is the right one.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

John Henry Bruerton birth registered Dec 1870 Derby.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Oh, that makes him a bit too old to be the boy that you mentioned, doesn't it?
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

This is the family in 1871 (transcribed as Brueston on ancestry):
                                      35 Barlow St., Litchurch, Derbyshire
                                      John Bruerton Head Mar 41 Engine Bell Maker Staffordsh Darlaston
                                      Lucy Do Wife Mar 30 Do Do
                                      Ann Do Daur 13 Scholar Do Do
                                      Emily Do Daur 8 Do Derbysh Litchurch
                                      Ada Do Daur 3 Do Do
                                      John H Do son 6 mo Do Do

There are baptisms on the IGI for John and Lucy's children and the Derby ones were baptised at St Andrew's Derby, but there is no boy after John Henry - there is a girl, Mary Elizabeth, baptised 27 Nov 1872 (birth registered Dec 1872), and Lucy's death was registered Sep 1873. There aren't any Bruerton births in Derby on FreeBMD after Mary Elizabeth until 1876, so it doesn't look as though there was a younger stepson - so it must have been John Henry who was the boy mentioned after all. He would be about 5 or 6 at the time of the fine, wouldn't he? I don't suppose the case took years to come to court like it might nowadays, but that could be the explanation? Or they just got his age wrong.
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

I have got the 1881 image to load.

39 St James Road
                                        John Bruerton 51 engine smith at factory b Darlaston, Staffordshire
                                        >>>Hannah, wife, 45 Chellarton, Derbys.
                                        Emily daur 18 tailoress Derby, Derbyshire
                                        Ada daur 13 scholar Derby, Derbyshire
                                        John H. son 10 scholar Derby, Derbyshire
                                        Florence M. daur 4 months Derbyshire Homarton by D.
                                        Hannah Hicklin visitor 8 scholar Findern, Derbys.

There's a big gap between John (b. abt 1871) and Florence.

Comment

Working...
                                        X