Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I may have broken a brick wall, but ..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I may have broken a brick wall, but ..........

in the process possibly found a second bigamist in the family. This is a summary. I just want somebody to check out my thinking before I get too excited.

My g grandmother is Catherine WASLEY, born 30th March 1857 (birth cert) to Matthew and Catherine WASLEY (nee WILLIAMS). I have never been able to locate this family on any census, and many other people have tried with no success.

When Catherine Jnr married John Salmon BENNETT ON 8th June 1880 at the Register Office in East Stonehouse, Plymouth, she cites her father as Matthew WASLEY, deceased, and a seaman in the RN. That fact does not seem to fit with info from her birth cert, nor his wedding cert, where both times he is shown as a copper miner.

This has been a brick wall for ages, and I have left it alone for a long time. However, today, I thought I would have another go.

1881 census - RG11; Piece: 2203; Folio: 20; Page: 34 - shows John and Catherine BENNETT with their first born child Mabel in East Stonehouse. No problem there (other than Mabel's birth was actually registered as Kate )

However, I believe that Catherine and Mabel are ennumerated twice in 1881, the second one being RG11; Piece: 2291; Folio: 60; Page: 19 where they are enumerated as visitors to a Catherine HODGE in Bodmin. This Catherine has a birth year of 1823, and born in Chacewater, which fits exactly with details for Catherine WILLIAMS who married Matthew.

Looking at Free BMD, there just happens to be a marriage with a Catherine WASLEY and William HODGE included in December quarter of 1860 - Truro 5c 260.

Looking at 1861 census - RG9; Piece: 1563; Folio: 3; Page: 4, there is William and Catherin HODGE, with a 4 year old daughter Kate which fits exactly with the birth details of my g grandmother. By 1871, the family are still living in Chacewater, but William has died, and there is a daughter Elizabeth age 8 - RG10; Piece: 2286; Folio: 24; Page: 2.

I cannot see a birth for a Catherine/Kate HODGE in 1857, and I believe that this is why I have never been able to find her on a census until after her marriage.

However, what has happened to her father Matthew? I still can't locate him on a census. He was born c1824 in Gwennap, Cornwall. There is no death record that I can see between 1856 and 1860. There is one for a 56 year old in 1876, but I think that is the one who was born c1819 in 1861 census - RG9; Piece: 1554; Folio: 82; Page: 16.

I am going to order the wedding cert today to see what details that holds. I suspect that Catherine will be recorded as a widow when it arrives.

I'm sorry if this is all a bit long winded, but I needed to get my thoughts down in writing. If anybody can add their thoughts on it, I would appreciate it.
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

However, what has happened to her father Matthew? I still can't locate him on a census. He was born c1824 in Gwennap, Cornwall.
    Erm, how do you know where he was born if he's not been found on a census??

Comment

Hi Merry,

Lost of digging by Cornwall Family History Society some time ago. I took his age at marriage from the marriage cert, and gave them the details, and that is what they came up with. If fitted with the details on the cert with Matthew's father being Stephen. Matthew was baptized in Gwennap 30th Jan 1825, parents Stephen and Mary.
      Pauline
      xx

Comment

Hmmm....There's a Matthew Wasley (on Find My Past) who is recorded as Matthew Wasty on Ancestry who is a Sailor b 1825, but he is said to have been born in Norfolk and is a visotor in the household of some people called Laxton. This may not be your chap, but lots of Sailors married away from home, so there's no reason to think he had to come from Cornwall, is there?

Comment

What were Matthew's father's details from his marriage cert?

Comment

Matthew's father was Stephen, a miner. That's all I know about him other than he married Mary WILLIAMS 28th Jan 1824 in Kenwyn, Cornwall.
            Pauline
            xx

Comment

Do you know who the marriage witnesses were?

Comment

Witnesses - Matthew Williams and Catherine Pengiley to Stephen and Mary

Witnesses - T J Hicks and Mary Mugford to Matthew and Catherine
                Pauline
                xx

Comment

Working...
                X