Can you find the first marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you find the first marriage?

Rowland Lishman (1877 to 1958) was married twice, with children from both marriages. He lived all his life in Tynemouth and North Shields. He was a major businessman in the area and well-known as a benefactor of good causes. He married:

1) Mary Woodburn Riddel/Riddle (c. 1880 to Nov. 1912) in 1905-ish.
    The children of this marriage were Mary Woodburn (1909 to 2004), Rhoda (1911 to 2005) and a third child (b. Oct. 1912) who may still be alive. Mary appears to have died a few days after giving birth to this child.

2) Mary Angus (1886 to 1974) in August 1915.
    There were 4 children of this marriage, of whom the youngest is probably still alive.

I don't need any information on the other people I have mentioned. I have more than enough information about them from family and other sources.

But the only concrete information I have about Mary Woodburn Riddle/Riddel is her date of death at the age of 33. I am trying to fill in the gaps.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

I'm a little confused!!

I see from the last birth that her maiden name was listed as Riddel (or maybe Riddle). Is Woodburn her middle name or a previous married name?

On a tangent, is this person connected?

Births
    Name: Charles Henry Woodburn Riddell
    Year of Registration: 1864
    Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
    District: Wincanton
    County: Dorset, Somerset
    Volume: 5c
    Page: 553

Comment

Could they have married in Scotland (long shot!? ) There's a John C Woodburn Riddell in the phone book in Aberdeen in 1939!

Comment

Hi Merry.

As far as I know her middle name is Woodburn, which is also the middle name of her eldest daughter. I have no idea whether she was married before. And as far as I know there's no connection with Dorset, though I can't rule it out.

Comment

All the corroboration I've been able to get is from newspaper articles about Rowland.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
            All the corroboration I've been able to get is from newspaper articles about Rowland.
            Yes, I've seen his name splattered all over The Times! lol

Where was he in 1901?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
              Yes, I've seen his name splattered all over The Times! lol

Where was he in 1901?
              Same place as 1881 and 1891, with his parents at 16 Lovaine Place, Tynemouth.

Comment

Is his father John James Lishman?

Comment

Ruth Lishman married in Calcutta!

Comment

She married a marine engineer. I have his retirement present from Lloyds Register of Shipping!

Comment

So dad put two marriage notices in The Times, but not one for Rowland (for either marriage)

Was he a black sheep who made good?

Comment

One of my 2 x GGMs was Ellen Riddell.

Lotsa luck, UJ!

*exits thread, laughing head off*

OC

Comment

*stirs ex-lax into OC's nighttime Horlicks*

Cackles!!

Comment

*wonders who drinks Horlicks these days, not me*

Here's a clue when looking for women with the surname Riddell or Riddle...change the R to a P. That should pick up the ones I haven't corrected on Ancestry.

OC

Comment

lol!! Piddle??!!!

*hastily removes Horlicks from larder*

Comment

So dad put two marriage notices in The Times, but not one for Rowland (for either marriage)

Was he a black sheep who made good?
                                I hadn't noticed that. Rowland made his career and fortune in the colliery business, starting as a clerk and working up to being a director of several colliery companies. When I last had access to Gale 19th. century newspapers, I found several references in the Newcastle Courant.

Comment

Marvellous - how to give info. and lower the tone simultaneously.

Comment

I hadn't noticed that.
                                    There's a notice for John James jr and one for Ruth, but I haven't found any others yet (I only searched from 1901 though, so there might be notices for the elder ones before that.) I think it said John James jr was the third son?

Comment

Why am I sensing a Gretna marriage??!

Comment

There's a notice for John James jr and one for Ruth, but I haven't found any others yet (I only searched from 1901 though, so there might be notices for the elder ones before that.) I think it said John James jr was the third son?
                                        I hadn't looked for/found John James jr.'s marriage notice. I have it as Tenerife, so perhaps they only put the overseas ones in the paper. John James was the 3rd. son.

EDIT: found it now in The Times - I had been misled!
                                        Last edited by Uncle John; 27-11-08, 23:07.

Comment

Working...
                                        X