X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas about this death entry?

Hello everyone

Doris B M Bullock was born in OND 1917

A family letter says she was born on the 23rd November 1917 (it was written the day after, so is accurate).

There is a death in the indexes for:

Doris Blanche M O'Byrne Gregan Ward

(Her mother was called Blanche, so that seems to match up)

But, that is an incredibly long surname isn't it! I also cannot find anything else with the three name surname.

I haven't yet found her in the marriage indexes.
    Any ideas?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Well, it's certainly the same lady, though IoW BMD has the surname slightly different:

O'BYRNE or GREGAN or WARD
    Doris Blanche Martha
    aged 74
    maiden name BULLOCK
    ref B52A/E23

I'm not sure quite what they mean by the way they have expressed her surname - I expect either one (GRO or IoW BMD) may be correct!

Comment

ooh thanks Merry!

I never think to look for deaths on local BMD sites, I tend to just use them for finding out where people married (which church) so I can then look at the records office.

So, looks like she led an interesting life. Think I may have to order her death certificate.

Her mother was my great grandad's cousin, so that makes her my second cousin twice removed I think.

I thought her M might stand for Martha as that was her grandmother's name

Thanks Merry :D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Do you have the link for IoW BMD please Merry? I've googled it but cannot seem to find it.

Comment

Here it is:

Isle of Wight Family History Society

click BMD index on the left

I got the link from here:

UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census transcriptions for the UK, On-Line

Comment

Thanks Merry, I was looking for one of the "usual" style sites

Comment

Maybe she was married more than once and they are all her former surnames.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy

I think when the Registrar puts "or" on a certificate, it means that the person used those names interchangeably and the person registering the death wasn't sure which was the "correct" name.

In the bmd INDEXES though, "or" means two surnames appear for some reason or other, usually a previous married name, but sometimes a previous maiden name, lol, where a child was born with one surname but used (say) the surname of a stepfather.

OC

Comment

I recently ordered a death certificate online for a person surname NEWLANDS.
                  The name and full registration numbers were on GRO lists.
                  When the certificate arrived, the deceased was named BERRY , but 'formerly known as....NEWLANDS' was also recorded ( in box 2 ) This was in addition to the woman's maiden name shown in section 4.
                  I later checked the index and saw that she had been indexed under both married surnames separately.

Comment

It says on the Isle of Wight BMD site when you look at the index record, "Other surname(s), where listed, could be former married name(s)."
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                    X