HELP harriet SMITH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP harriet SMITH

Just been looking to see if I can get anywhere with my 2nd great grand aunt HArriet SMith baptised 1845 Northfleet Kent. I have tried looking for a marriage for her but with a name like that prooves almost impossible. I have been trawling the 1881 census using just her first name and have come up with a possible Harriet DILLEION
    On 1881 census there is a Harriett DILLEION b Northfleet 1844 but is a widow. Tried searching for a marriage of DILLEION to a Harriet but nothing showing so looked for a death of DILLEION but again nothing so I guess it may be mistranscribed. Any ideas please? I would love to be able to say thats what happened to her.

I have found that Harriett Dilleion did remarry in 1886 to either a William Johnson Latus or John Sills.

I can't find Harriet after 1851. Do you know where she was after this, but before any marriage?

Comment

no all I know is she is with her grandmother in 1851 Susan Martin although I think Harriet is mistranscribed as Harecot. Not been able to trace her since then. I have looked at various local marriages as some of the parish records are on line but none of them have proven to be her.

Comment

the only entry for DILLEION in the freebmd is for Harriet DILLEON marriage in 1886.

Comment

I would have thought if she can't be traced in 1861 and 1871 then either she died, or she assumed she was born somewhere else if she was independent by the time she was 16ish, in which case she probably wouldn't say Northfleet in later censuses either!

Comment

awww Merry you have just dashed all my hopes today!!!:D

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
              awww Merry you have just dashed all my hopes today!!!:D

I'm still looking for her. Thing is, the name Smith doesn't usually get mistranscribed!

Who were her parents? Do you know when they died?

Comment

her parents were William SMith and Fanny Martin who are in Northfleet with great great grandfather GEorge William SMITH b 1840. 1851 has Harriet with her grandmother and there is a George William SMith in the Dartford Union Workhouse. I have seen the register and he was discharged shortly after the 1851 census at the request of his grandmother so I can only assume he is mine and that the parents died. I did find a death of a Fanny or Francis Smith 11 jan 1849 which I believe is their mothers but no chance of finding one for the right William SMith. Her headstone is long gone so dont know if any clues were on the headstone or not. I found it in a parish record but dont think it is on freebmd. Not sure where George William Smith is in 1861 but he shows up in 1871 with his wife Emily in Sutton at Hone

Comment

I did find a death of a Fanny or Francis Smith 11 jan 1849
                  Is that a burial record or a date from the death cert?

Comment

thats a burial record I found in hte parish records for the area.

Comment

Wellm the death cert would tell you who she was the wife or widow of, to confirm she is the right person Also knowing whether she was a wife or widow would shorten the time frame for the death of William. There's only one in North Aylesford District between 1841 and 1851 though.

I wonder if Harriet was "adopted" by another family? Do you know when her grandmother died?

Comment

Do you know when her grandmother died?
                        1852 Q2, so I wonder what happened to Harriet then?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                          1852 Q2, so I wonder what happened to Harriet then?
                          thats not on the freebmd.

If Harriet is born 1844 she could have been married by 1861 census or in service anywhere. Which brings me back to the 1881 census..lol:D
                          I have just had a quick look at the parish records on line for GRavesend to see if I could find the marriage of Harriet dilleion to see what her other name was or her fathers name but couldnt find it.
                          I must get dressed now so will be gone for a bit;)

Comment

thats not on the freebmd

Yes, it is! That's where I got it from!!!

Deaths Jun 1852
                            MARTIN Susan North Aylesford 2a 153

Comment

Harriet's birth seems to have been registered Q2 1845, so she would have just been turning 16 at the date of the 1861 census. I doubt she was married. I'll have a look at this Harriet Dilleion now......

Comment

It looks like the second marriage was to John Sills. There's Harriet and John on the 1891 at Erith, Kent. She is born Northfleet again. The only trouble is, she is now 56 years of age, which puts her birth around 1834.

Obviously her age might be mis-recorded so I'll have a look for 1901/death.

Comment

Hmmm.....she is 62 in 1901, so that's about 1838! lol (She's not helping, is she!!)

Comment

Most likely death:

Deaths Jun 1913
                                    Sills Harriet 79 Dartford 2a 679

which equals 1834ish. Hmmmmm........

Comment

On the 1871 census there's a Harriet Dillon a cook, b Gravesend in about 1840. She says she is a widow.
                                      Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 26-11-08, 12:24.

Comment

Right. From the beginning......

I think Mrs Dilleion began life as Harriet Higgins.

Harriet Higgins is on the 1861 census aged 25, single, domestic cook b Northfleet. She is in Charterhouse, Middlesex

Then there is this marriage:

Marriages Jun 1861
                                        Behte Caroline St Martin 1a 601
                                        Dillon William St. Martin 1a 601
                                        Higgins Harriet St Martin 1a 601
                                        Shaw Robert St. Martin 1a 601

There is a William Dillon in the parish of St Martin in the Fields in 1861, but I hope he isn't the groom as he's 84 and married! lol

Anyway, I think Harriet Dillon aged 31 in 1871 is the same person and is the same lady you found in 1881 who later became Mrs Sills. Her age varies quite a lot from census to census, but the place of birth and occ are fairly consistent.

Comment

Working...
                                        X