X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New on Ancestry - UK Medical Registers 1859-1959

UK Medical Registers, 1859-1959 - Ancestry.co.uk

About UK Medical Registers, 1859-1959
    This database contains annually published books listing all of the names of doctors who were licensed to practise in the United Kingdom and abroad from 1859-1959. Also included are foreign doctors who qualified in Britain. Although these books were published annually, registers have only been digitised on 4 year intervals.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Very useful. I've found some but not all of my doctors. The name indexing is a bit hit and miss for people with two forenames.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for that! I've just found my great-uncle.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I've found my 3xg-aunt's husband and it gives various addresses where they lived. Now, how do I find who else in my tree was a doctor? I know there are some in there but not sure if I can remember who...
        KiteRunner

Comment

Yes, KiteRunner - the addresses are a great bonus. I'm going to have to go through my tree to find a few more doctors.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Ah, I've found out how to search FTM 2005 by occupation now, so that should help. (Edit - Find Individual - then it seems to be select Occupation cmt/loc from the drop-down menu, though I have no idea what cmt/loc means!)
            KiteRunner

Comment

I never knew about that facility so thank you for pointing this out to me. I was trying to remember which one of mine was buried at Swaffham Norfolk as a friend of mine now lives there. I have now just searched it and found the answer straight away. Yippeee!!

Comment

Hmmmm, I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that if you put a name in on the Home Page on Ancestry, then the next screen would show you all the places that name can be found that your sub gives access to. As new databases are added, more results come up on that screen.

However, having searched for one of my doctors, he appears on the new database, but that database doesn't appear in the summary of stuff for his name if I enter his name on the home page (I assume it should be listed under Directories and Member Lists?)

I'm so glad you told us about this, Kite, or I would never have come across it!

Comment

I can't get it to put the results up on the global search either, Merry.

A few good things I have noticed - In some cases, for a female doctor it gives her maiden name after her married one. And if you have a doctor relly who emigrated it could be very useful indeed as it will tell you where they moved to!
                  KiteRunner

Comment

global search
                    Ohhhh, so that's what it's called!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      .... though I have no idea what cmt/loc means!)
                      Comment / location ... I think!
                      Elaine

Comment

In FTM I've tended to identify people's titles such as doctors in brackets after their first name; e.g Fred (Dr.) BLOGGS. This saves fishing in the occupation information but doesn't seem to confuse the Ancestry search option in FTM.

Comment

Thanks for this info. I've been looking at my father's stepfather's family. From that I can say that the addresses are (inevitably) only as reliable as the info which had reached the GMC. His stepfather is down as still in Wolverhampton at a point when he'd been in Leamington for a while.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ah, I've found out how to search FTM 2005 by occupation now, so that should help. (Edit - Find Individual - then it seems to be select Occupation cmt/loc from the drop-down menu, though I have no idea what cmt/loc means!)
                            Comment/Location

If you have the info recorded correctly then a custom report can be created to display just about any type of info you want, for examples see the thread

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Bear in mind that the addresses given aren't necessarily the home address, but may be the address of the doctor's surgery.

Comment

Thanks Kate. I've been searching and trying to remember who my DR's are.
                                I now know where on the census to search for one of my OH's missing rellies. Just have to work out how Browne could have been transcribed if not Brown/e.

And if you have a doctor relly who emigrated it could be very useful indeed as it will tell you where they moved to!
                                Except when they move on every entry - USA, South Africa, India, Fiji, England.
                                Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                  Bear in mind that the addresses given aren't necessarily the home address, but may be the address of the doctor's surgery.
                                  Or in one case on the same page as one of mine, Broadmoor Hospital.

Comment

Working...
                                  X