Another 1901 Look up please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 1901 Look up please

I need to find Esther Ann Brown, born Dudley 24th July 1868 in the 1901 Census.
    Possible places are Dudley,Walthamstow or some other part of London or Leyton Buzzard and likely to have been working as a general servant or similar.
    A reference would be most helpful
    Thanks

Cannot see her on the 1901 census using the information you have given.
    Is she likely to have married by then?
    Elaine

Comment

As far as I know, she never married. Frustratingly she was always know as 'Auntie', and her address 'Miss E Brown', though she did have an illegitimate son on 23 October 1899 when she was living at 26 Court 5 Wolverhampton Street Dudley. She is said to have been a general domestic servant. Her mother Mary Ann Lilley registered the birth and lived at the same address.

That's as far as I can get her officially. After that as I said it's all 'auntie' and Miss E Brown. Later she turns up in Wandsworth, (her sister is married from an address in Wandswarth in 1909 and a postcard to the two sisters has a wandworth address) and and probably in Leyton Buzzard, but I suppose she could have been anywhere.

Her birth date is confirmed though by IGI as 24th July 1868 Batch no CO40148
      Attached Files

Comment

I can't even find her in 1891! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
          I can't even find her in 1891! lol
          Neither could I!

What was the name of the illegitimate son?
          Elaine

Comment

Class RG13 Piece 2746 Folio 176 page 13

A cook living Dudley High Street
            Pam

Comment

1901 for the illegitimate son
              RG13; Piece: 2744; Folio: 6; Page: 3.
              Edward Brown c 1900 Dudley, Worcestershire - living with Lilly family.
              Elaine

Comment

Oh, she's Esther Lily in 1891......did we do something with these people a day or two ago?

Comment

Her age is out so not sure about it now
                  Pam

Comment

Yes, it's the same family. Mary Ann Brown married William Lilley after the death of John Brown. It is part of the reason why I cannot trace Rhoda Brown/Lilley's birth is that there are so many names involved. I thought I'd better make Esther a different thread as she's a different set of questions.
                    In 1891 the are all together in Tower St Dudley
                    RG12/2296
                    Do I have to start looking fro Esther Lily then?
                    For Pam and the reference you give, is she Brown or Lily (or Lilly or Lilley)?

Comment

The one Pam found was aged 28 when she should have been 32ish. However, she is recorded as Esther A Brown b Dudley and there are no other registrations for anyone of that name in Dudley in the five years after 1868, so I would think it's quite likely to be your Esther. I also didn't see another Esther when I was looking at the 1881 and 1891 censuses.

Comment

Maybe she gave her age as 28.

Comment

Or maybe she had been working there for four years!! lol

Comment

Yes, and her details were just transcribed from her application form or something. It's the same old problem with transcription, isn't it?
                            Thanks for finding her.

Comment

Working...
                            X