Tracing living relatives of John Robinson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing living relatives of John Robinson

John Robinson was the Wireless Operator of Lancaster Bomber ND806 which was shot down over Belgium in April 1944. He was from Dunston-on-Tyne in the NE of England - very close to where I live. He was the son of John and Annie Adelaide Robinson.

Some people I am in touch with would eventually like to erect a Memorial to the crew (who were all killed). To this end, they have been searching for the surviving families of the seven crew members, with some success. However they haven't been able to trace John's family at all.

I've found him on CWGC:

Name: ROBINSON, JOHN
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: 166 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 23/04/1944
    Service No: 1511210
    Additional information: Son of John and Annie Adelaide Robinson, of Dunston-on-Tyne, Gateshead, Co. Durham.

I have never traced forward in this way before. Where do you suggest I start?
    Many thanks!
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

I would start by contacting the local newspapers for that area to have them print a request for relatives to get in touch.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Have your tried to find his birth record and thus his mother's maiden name? You could look for siblings in the years before and after his birth.
      I am presuming he was not married?
      Margaret

Comment

I would agree with Kite.

I can't see another way. Without his service record you won't have his date or place of birth. Without his date or place of birth you won't know which is his birth record. Had his parents names been more unusual you might have been able to cross-ref marriages with mmn, but as it's most likely his mother will be Ann A or Annie A (middle names not listed after about 1910), there are loads to choose from! Without the parents marriage you won't be able to find siblings, which is presumably what you are hoping to find, as they might lead you to living relatives.

Comment

Thanks to all 3 of you - I had contempated the local papers and am now encouraged that that is the best way to go...will do so!
          Kind regards,
          William
          Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Working...
          X