Robert Jaggard marriage help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Jaggard marriage help please

I have Robert Jaggard in 1861 married to Esther (RG9; Piece: 1035; Folio: 19; Page: 32) - 1st child born 1855, Chippenham, Cambridgeshire

There's a marriage for a Robert Jaggard in 1855 Dec Newmarket 3b 1230, but there is a bride missing and I suspect this is Esther. The other two names on the page, Alfred Hobbs & Adelaide Morley I have found in 1861, so that leaves my Robert.

Robert was born Weston Colville, Cambridgeshire & Esther (1861 census) Reading, Berkshire.

Can anyone help find Esther's maiden name please?

Thanks
    Sue

Hmmm......

I've done all the usual sort of stuff:

Looked at all the Esthers and Esters who married in Newmarket district that Q. Nothing.

Looked at everyone married that Q in Newmarket. Nothing obviously mis-transcribed or page numbers not read.

Looked at people called Esther b Reading around 1829 on the 1851 census and looked up all their surnames on the marriage indexes:

Day, Honeybourne, Kibble, Newall, Newman, Simmons.

Nothing!

Still thinking......... lol

Comment

Thanks for looking Merry.

I've been trying with this for the past few months. Keep coming back to it just in case I've missed something, but no luck so far.

As this is not my direct line of the Jaggard family I'm reluctant to send for one of their childs birth cert. But it's looking as if I might have to, to get her maiden name at least.
      Sue

Comment

Don't forget that Esther and Hester were often interchangeable. I didn't find any Hesters on FreeBMD who fitted either, though. I think possibly that isn't the right marriage, or Esther wasn't her "official" name, or Esther was Robert's second wife and the oldest children had a different mother (or father!), or the marriage isn't on the indexes!
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh, looking at the IGI, their first child was born before that marriage anyway, but it is a submitted entry so could be wrong. You could check in the PR's as an exact date is given:
          Esther Elizabeth Jaggard christened 6 May 1854 Chippenham, Cambridge, parents Robert and Esther.

If that's correct then you can forget most of my theories, lol! Just off to check FreeBMD....
          KiteRunner

Comment

FreeBMD has Esther Elizabeth's birth registered Jun quarter 1855 so I guess the year is wrong on that baptism, but it still makes her born before the possible marriage. Though of course that doesn't mean it isn't the right marriage!
            KiteRunner

Comment

Have you definitely ruled out the Robert Jaggard marriage in Newmarket district Apr-Jun 1854?

Bishop Richard Newmarket 3b 779
              JAGGARD Robert Newmarket 3b 779
              MAYNARD Phoebe Newmarket 3b 779
              Westley Ellen Newmarket 3b 779

I'm just wondering whether "Ester" could have been misread as "Ellen" if it was badly scrawled? Clutching at straws maybe...
              KiteRunner

Comment

Can anyone else find what happened to Phoebe Maynard after she married the other (?? ) Robert Jaggard in Q2 1854?

The other bride and groom married each other (Richard and Ellen Bishop), but I can't sort out who Phoebe is. As your Esther had a dau called Phoebe, I started wondering silly thoughts! lol

Comment

Just to be a bit more certain about the Bishops, I've just checked and Ellen Westley is on the 1851 census same date and place of birth as Mrs Bishop.

Comment

There's a Phoebe Maynard age 20 on the 1851 census born at Woodley, Berkshire (on the outskirts of Reading) and living in Woodley with her mother Elizabeth. Not very many Phoebe Maynards around.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

My gran was a Maynard. They love to put mis-information on the censuses!!

I saw that one too. I'm trying to see what happened to her is she isn't a wife of Robert J.

At the moment she is in outerspace, which could be what we want! lol

Look out for Minnard, Minard, Menard etc lol

Comment

I thought if I went back to the 1841 then Phoebe might turn out to have an older sister called Esther, but no. Or at least, not with her family. But there is an Esther Maynard age 27 on the 1851 who is born Sonning, Berkshire, living away from her family as a servant, so she could possibly be Phoebe's sister and have left home before the 1841 census.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

I think the 1855 Q4 missing bride is Lucy Marsh who is transcribed with page number 1231. There's a Robert and Lucy Jaggard on the 1861 census at Stetchworth.

Comment

Just been going through all my Jaggard notes again. I'd forgotton about that marriage in 1854, but not sure why I'd ruled that out.

Hmm.. perhaps he married twice, haven't found a Robert & Phoebe.
                            Sue

Comment

Phoebe Maynard christening is on the IGI 27 Feb 1831 Berks and Oxford, parents Richard and Elizabeth. It's one of those "I" batches.

And someone has submitted a birth for Phoebe Maynard born about 1833 of Chippenham, Cambridge, married "Robert Jaggard Jaggart" 13 Apr 1854 Chippenham, father's name given as Richard which may (or may not!) have come from the marriage certificate.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Oh thanks Merry, so it looking like the 1854 marraige is mine.
                                Sue

Comment

thanks for that Kite, my Robert's father was Joseph Jaggard. Robert was bap 20 Feb 1831 in Weston Colville.

Sorry, just reread your post.. Phoebe's father was Richard according to the sub entry.

So it's looking possible
                                  Last edited by Crafty Sue; 25-11-08, 11:38.
                                  Sue

Comment

Yay - I've found an Esther Maynard christening on the IGI, 13 Aug 1826, Berks and Oxford, parents Richard and Elizabeth, same "I" batch as for Phoebe's. I think it might be one of those cases where the first wife died and the widower took up with her sister, and it was illegal to marry your deceased wife's sister, so it could be that Robert and Esther didn't actually get married. Or of course it could be that Phoebe ran off with someone, as we haven't found her death or burial yet...
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Sue View Post
                                      Oh thanks Merry, so it looking like the 1854 marraige is mine.
                                      I've looked at the GRO index and the page number has been written with a very squashed zero, which has been taken as a 1, but I'm pretty sure it's a 0

Comment

Originally posted by Crafty Sue View Post
                                        thanks for that Kite, my Robert's father was Joseph Jaggard. Robert was bap 20 Feb 1831 in Weston Colville.
                                        Oops, sorry, it was Phoebe's father who is given as Richard on that IGI marriage entry. I'll try to find it again and see if it gives a name for Robert's father too...
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X