Modern research and wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern research and wills

I really enjoy 20th century research and seeing where I can trace forwards and track down living rellies.

Often I won't write away to them, I just like to do the research for my own fun and I don't put it on the internet anywhere. (apart from on here ;))

I have spent a really long time researching a tree of my extended family in a village in Leicestershire, and when I was there last I found a grave of a lady who died in 2001. She had not had any children and never married.

I do not know what happened to her brother who was a few years younger than her and he may very well still be alive. He would be my 4th cousin 3 times removed so not very close.

I would like to get the will of this lady, and I know I can buy it, but it is the first time I have felt like I am snooping because it is so recent.

What do others feel about this?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

I do know what you mean, Tom - it does seem a bit recent. Just remember though that a will is a public document and anyone has the right to get a copy of anyone's will (apart from a will of any of the Royal family )

The whole point of Probate, which is an ancient scheme, is to ensure that there is no 'funny business' with the property of the deceased.

Anne

Comment

It does feel very odd though Anne. I have stood by this ladies grave which I think was one of the newest in the church yard. It was the first time I knew anything more about her than her first name, middle initial and quarter, registration district and year of birth. To go from that to having her last will and testament in front of me seems like a massive jump and almost like an invasion of her privacy. I know it isn't because, as you say, they are in the public domain and anyone can buy them but it still feels a bit strange.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Tom

I was standing by the grave of three spinster sisters who were my 2nd cousins twice removed. I had recently received the death certificate of the last one to be buried in 1982. It had really upset me (despite not having ever met the lady or even known of her existance until I started my family research) as the relationship of the person registering the death was "causing the body to be buried" but I knew that she still had an elder sister living and had a nephew and neice and 3 gt nephews.

When I was in London back in October I decided to buy this lady's will. I discovered that it was a sizeable estate (mostly probably made up of house) but she left the whole kit and caboodle (bar a gift to her solicitor - who incidently was the informant on the death cert) to 8 different charities. Not a mention of her sister or nephew or neice or gt nephews - so my advice is go for it. It isn't "snooping" but I have been left wondering whether her sister and her family had lost touch, fallen out or some other reason.
        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Tom I can understand it feeling a bit strange. You don't have to buy the will now if you don't want, you could wait a suitable time. I guess it feels strange as mostly we aren't even searching in this century and her death was 7 years ago.

However you may get some leads from the will. I wouldn't disclose the fact you had the will to her brother as he may feel you were after something but if you aren't doing it for the wrong reasons (and I know you wouldn't) then do it when you feel comfortable. There is nothing wrong with getting it now.
          Kit

Comment

Tom

I share your feelings exactly - 20th century research always seems snoopy to me, even when the people concerned are dead!

I would do what Kit says - get the Will but keep quiet about it.

OC

Comment

I also share your feelings Tom. I haven't purchased such a recent will but have felt similarly when I bought death certificates for reatives. One, my great aunt's from the 1990s, gave me an addres and name of informant which enabled me to write to a previously unknown cousin. I haven't told him that I have his mother's death certificate as that seems intrusive, instead I said that I matched the district named on the GRO death index with his entry in the phone book.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The most recent will I have obtained was that of my husbands grandfather. (1976) My husband knew there had been a lot of upset about in the generation above him, and we wanted to know what it was all about.

Grandfather left his business to his son by his mistress (that son didn't know he was illegitimate untul after both parents had died as the mistress had changed her name by deed poll) all other assets to be split between his son by his wife (OH's father) and son by his mistress. Nothing, not even a mention of his 3 daughters by his wife.

We have kept quiet about it.
                Last edited by Jill on the A272; 27-11-08, 13:42. Reason: added date

Comment

Working...
                X