Bigamy in the family!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigamy in the family!!

I have been searching Gales Newspapers today, concentrating on my Purkis family in Portsea.

I have got to 1878 and have found what I have been looking for re. William John Purkis, the brother of my great-grandfather.

"Serious Charge of Bigamy against a Portsmouth Man"

In 1891 he was in Strangeways prison and I always wondered what he had done. He emigrated to the USA after his release.

I found that he had married Elizabeth Harriet Crassweller in 1872 and they had a child, but it appears that he married Elizabeth Ann Garden in 1877!!

The Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle report on the charge of bigamy in 1878 - off to look for the court case now! His poor family, devasting for his parents, not to mention his wife (who thereafter called herself "widow").
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

OOOOOH!

He did it again!!!

I have now found another article -
    "The Extraordinary Career of a Manchester Bigamist"

Apparently the first time he was sent to jail in Belfast for 18 months, upon release he went to Manchester.

He was charged with attempting to defraud the London and North-Western Rasilway Company of £33 and also with committing bigamy. He represented himself as a widower and "married" Anna Maria Morris, and it was a very unhappy marriage - he treated her abominably. It goes on and on!! This is in 1890 so he obviously did two stints in jail.

As far as I can tell, the rest of the family were very upright and good citizens!
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 24-11-08, 18:01.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Perhaps he liked wedding cake, Elizabeth?

OC

Comment

I like the headline "serious charge of bigamy". Is there a "trivial charge"?

Seriously, he clearly upset a lot of people's lives. At least he didn't go one more like George Smith, the Brides in the Bath murderer.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I wish my mum was still alive - I can see her sitting there having a chortle!

It always strikes me that in a perfectly normal, decent family you can get one "bad apple" or "black sheep". The rest of the family were devoted to their spouses and children, and then you get one like William, who does everything differently.

It must have been so distressing for them all, especially then, when there was such a stigma attached to these things.

BTW Nell, I am soo jealous!! But very pleased for your good fortune - I hope you have worked out what you want researching.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

19th Century British Library Newspapers Logout

Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
              X