Where exactly is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where exactly is this?

On my Grandfather's birth certificate it gives Catshill, Bromsgrove, CNSD as his place of Birth. As his mother Ann Wynn is recorded in the census a month earlier as living at 67 Poplar, St Harborne, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on what this entry might mean.
    Attached Files

Could it be 'Poplar STREET, Harborn'?

Not that I know the area. Maybe someone else does. Have you tried Googlemaps to see if it's recognised - in either variation?

Bee
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Not my area but I'd hazard a guess that CNSD means Catshill North Sanitary District, if that's the part of your query you are referring to.
      May I suggest you contact the library, in perhaps Bromsgrove, to ask if they know what the abbreviation stands for. When you have the district / area, then a map dated 1881 or thereabouts to search for workhouses or similar or ask the library staff. You never know someone else may have contacted them with a similar query .

Edit
      Found this on google

CatshillLib@worcestershire.gov.uk

and these

Worcestershire Library and History Centre Trinity Street, Worcester, WR1 2PW
      Tel: (01905) 765922 / 765924
      Email: WLHC@worcestershire.gov.uk

Worcestershire Record Office County Hall, Spetchley Road, Worcester, WR5 2NP
      Tel: (01905) 766352 / 766355

Email: RecordOffice@worcestershire.gov.uk

and this

Noting retiredgen's post likely Ann Wynn had her son at a relative or family friends home in Catshill.,far enough away so as not to ,what they termed in the day as, upset the neighbours. Having said that then I wonder why an address wasn't given.
      Last edited by Anne Brown; 24-11-08, 16:18.

Comment

Hi,
        Welcome to FTF!!
        I am not sure what you are asking and my geography of the UK is not very good, but
        Catshill, Bromsgrove, is in Worcestershire. Is that what you were wanting to know? The image on the attachment is too small for me to read, so I cannot see if that is the address in question.

If that is a fair distance from where you have the mother a few weeks earlier, are you sure you have the same person.
        Having said that, I have a couple of my ancestors who gave birth within a few days of travelling from Ireland...one to London and one to Scotland and two who gave birth on ships en route to New Zealand (one of those in the English Channel, so she must have been very pregnant when she set out)

Comment

Catshill, Bromsgrove CNSD - B-G Forums sponsored by Parish Chest Ltd.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Harborne, Birmingham is about 10 miles from Catshill, Worcestershire and at the time both would have been semi-rural with direct road connections between them. There is no longer a Poplar St as far as I know but there are a number of streets named after trees (oak, court oak, woodbine, elm) so it is easy to guess roughly where it was just off the then village centre

Comment

Ann Wynn was living with her uncles family in Poplar St, Harbourne at the time of the 1881 census. I just wondered why someone heavily pregnant at the time of the census would leave her uncles house to give birth 10 miles down the road in Catshill about a month later. You can see from the attached birth certificate that there is no specific address mentioned in Catshill. I wondered if maybe there was a mother and baby establishment, though Kelly's directory for the period shows no such place.
              The addresss just says Catshill CNSD, and I attached it in the hope that if I'd mis-read it someone would put me right.
              Thanks all

Comment

In answer to Anne Brown's post, I suspect Ann was already 'away' as her family home was Lancashire.
                I have followed up on several of the addresses thanks.

Comment

I notice from John Benjamin's WATHEN's birth certificate that the registration of his birth took place a good month after his birth. Was this usual and did people have to go to the nearest register office?
                  Any thoughts or suggestions?
                  Eileen

Comment

Yes - you have 42 days in which to register a birth. This was set up in the days when a mother was reckoned to need up to six weeks to recuperate from a birth, and to go out!

OC

Comment

Unless you were Chinese when you wrapped the baby in a cloth and went back to work in the Paddy-Field.

Only joking, please don't throw things at me!

Bromsgrove is on the old road from Birmingham to Bristol via Worcester (Now the A38 closely matched by the M5)
                      Last edited by Grampa Jim; 26-11-08, 14:33.
                      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Redacted
                        Last edited by Penelope; 29-11-08, 00:23.

Comment

Working...
                        X