Ancestry update - British Commonwealth War Graves Registers, 1914-1918

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry update - British Commonwealth War Graves Registers, 1914-1918

Don't know of this has already been posted, couldn't see anything.

Came across it by searching .com not co.uk

About British Commonwealth War Graves Registers, 1914-1918

This database contains a collection of cemetery and memorial registers from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The collection is comprised of 16 printed volumes containing 106 registers and covering approximately 250 cemeteries. The cemetery registers generally provide details on who is buried in the cemetery and where they are buried. The memorial registers list the names of individuals with no known grave.

Jay
    Jay

I haven't looked, but does it have anything more than you can get already on :: CWGC :: ?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've had a quick look - and ended up sending feedback to Ancestry, since it seems to lose all the C-names after CHILTON. Having seen my CHRISTMAS great-uncle's name on both the website and the memorial, I do know it's there!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've not had a proper look at it to be honest, but a name I checked had the same info on CWGC.

Thought it was worth a mention.

Jay
        Jay

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
          I've not had a proper look at it to be honest, but a name I checked had the same info on CWGC.

Thought it was worth a mention.

Jay
          Certainly there's one way in which it's different. The CWGC sites returns very much a database result.

This Ancestry database returns printed-page images of rather more elegance.
          Always better to have more resources rather than less - you never know when one or other site will be "down".

Christine

Comment

The CWGC also has WWII info. The one name I have for WWI is not in Ancestry. Ancestry's images look like registers from the cemeteries, not sure what CWGC uses. What I like about the CWGC is that once you have found your guy, you can click on the cemetery name to get details about it - where it is, photo, plan, etc. Also CWGC has a new (well, I just noticed it today) link to the war graves photographic project where you can get a photo of the individual's gravestone War Grave and Memorial Photographs supplied by The War Graves Photographic Project

Still, as you said Christine, better to have more resources than less.

Lynda

Comment

Lynda, many thanks for the website for the Photographic project. Have just sent off for a photo of an uncle's grave. We wouldn't have known about it but for FTF, so am really grateful to all the helpful people on this site.

Comment

Another 'thanks for the link' to Linda.

Bee.
                Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Working...
                X