Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military help needed please

Hi
    William Patterson was born at Shoeburyness Garrison, Essex on the 9th June 1892. His father was a regular soldier in the Royal Artillery. I have found information about his father's military service from pension records on Ancestry.
    I have been told that William was also in the Royal Artillery & was either in the Indian Army or served in India. He was made up (not sure if this is the correct term) to Lt Colonel in 1936. Would I be able to find out anything about William's army service & if so how would I go about it? William's father signed up when he was 18 & retired when he was 50 so if William did the same he could have signed up c1910 & possibly was in the army through the
    2nd world war. Any help much appreciated as I know absolutely zilch about military research.
    Moggie

Have you tried on the London Gazette, Moggie?

Home
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite
      I did trawl through the London Gazette and found a William Patterson being promoted in 1936. It came under the heading of Indian Army Departments. No other details about regiment etc & with such a common name I can't be certain that this was "my man".
      Moggie

Comment

Moggie, what relation was William Patterson to you, please?
        KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kite
          I am not related to William Patterson & the only info I have about him is what I have included in my first post. I am trying to help a friend who is interested in finding out about his military career but I think it is going to be an impossible task being as the name is quite a common one.
          Thanks for your help.
          Moggie

Comment

May be worth a look on this site. Families in British India Society
            FIBIS | Families In British India Society | Family History in British India
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Moggie, it was just that if you were the next of kin then you would be able to apply for a copy of his military records, but obviously that won't be possible then. You could see if you can get a copy of the Army List for that period but again, it might not give enough info to be of much help as there will probably be a few people with the same name.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kite
                Where would I get a copy of the Army List that you mentioned. As I said I know nothing about doing military research.
                Moggie
                Last edited by maudarby; 24-11-08, 12:57.

Comment

There are various Army Lists available from this site:
                  S&N Genealogy Supplies - Software, UK Census and Data CDs

Not sure which ones include the Indian Army, but it does say the 1932 one does so that might be your best bet to start with? If you choose "Military and Naval Records" from the category drop-down menu then it will show you all the Army Lists that are available from them.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Keldon
                    Thanks for the link to FIBIS. I have had a look but can't see anything relating to William.
                    Hi Kite
                    I have had a look on the S&A site and I will suggest to my friend that he should get a copy of one of the Army lists. I have also been thinking about getting William's death certificate. He died in Southend in 1981 and as we both live locally we could see if there was an obituary for him in the local paper. I have always sent to the GRO for certificates before but we could go to the local registry office. What information would we need as I presume GRO index numbers do not apply in the local registry office. I am sure that I read somewhere that to obtain a death certificate for 1980's and later you needed to know the exact date of death. Does anybody know if this is correct?
                    Thanks Moggie

Comment

Working...
                    X