Deported from New York - why??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deported from New York - why??

I've found an entry on the UK Incoming Passengers lists that is almost certainly my Dad. He'd been sent to Canada by Barnardo's and I knew he'd gone to the US from there, and at some point returned to UK. And the dates add up ok.

The query arises because his listing on the ship's manifest says very clearly 'Deported'. But why would my kind, gentle Dad have been deported? I did get a hint from Mum years ago that maybe he'd been 'inside' for a short (?) time - he'd read lots of philosophy and things - Nieitche (sp) etc - so he must have had time on his hands. But how can I find out?

Does anyone have any ideas how I could trace his record in America? I'm the only surviving close relative, and he's been dead for over 40 years so I don't envisage any problems with confidentiality arising.

Any ideas?

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

I did a bit of googling:

New York Genealogy

looked particularly promising, but rootsweb and Cyndi's List also figure amongst the Hits.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Bee

You don't say when he was deported, but you didn't have to do much to get deported, I don't think.

If, let's say, he had communist leanings - even just reading about it, or talking about it at work, would have been enough to get him deported at one time. He might have been a protester - against anything really - and again, enough to get him deported.

OC

Comment

Thank Christine - that was quick! I still haven't got the hang of googling - it doesn't understand the way I as my questions. I'll try that link now.

OC, it was 1935 when he came back, and he'd gone to Chicago in about 1927, so I don't know. He never gave any hints of communist leanings, but I guess we don't know what our parents were like when they were younger and less wise, do we?

Bee.
        Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
        COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Reading Neitze (sp) would have been seen as having communist leanings!

However, I wonder if it was something to do with prohibition?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            Reading Neitze (sp) would have been seen as having communist leanings!

However, I wonder if it was something to do with prohibition?

OC
            Well, I do remember him telling me that one family he lodged with were Italian. You don't suppose.......???

However, he also talked about hearing the jazz and blues coming from the upstairs clubs, as he walked past. And of working in a 'real estate' office. (Estate agent.) And of teaching English to new immagrants - that could tie in with prison, I suppose.

Christine, I've followed your link. But I can't make head nor tail of what to do when I get there! Sorry, I jus don't 'get' this IT stuff!

Bee.
            Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

If he was deported, I assume there'd be an FBI file or something.

You may be entitled to access it under the Freedom of Information Act:

Freedom of Information Act (United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Comment

Thanks Mary, I'll have a look at that presently.

I've got to go and get food ready, but I'll check in later.

Bee.
                Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  Christine, I've followed your link. But I can't make head nor tail of what to do when I get there! Sorry, I jus don't 'get' this IT stuff!

Bee.
                  That page has lots of links which will lead to other sites which may have useful info. They also have some material on the site, which can be searched using the box top-right.

The "Search New York Genealogy" search on the right side will search all of the New York Genealogy website, but will not search the data linked to from our offsite data pages.
                  Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Bee,

You said in your thread that your father had gone to CANADA, courtesy of Barnardoes, so how did he end up in New York!! He may just have been an illegal immigrant, as you could not and still cannot go to Canada and then just hop over the border. many do and have done, and I have an uncle who entered the States that way, but it was and still is illegal, and worthy of deportation if found out. I have known others who have gone to extreme lengths like walking in the Rockies near Vancouver to get into the USA but would be deported if found. Have you ever tried to enter the States near Vancouver as a tourist, believe me that's bad enough as you do get the third degree treatment!

Janet

Comment

Thanks Christine. I'll have another look tomorrow, when I'm more awake.

Janet, that could make more sense. I know he crossed the border at Detroit in Dec 1926, heading for his Uncle for a visit - a cousin found the manifest with those details. So it's possible he never returned to Canada, and eventually came to the attention of the authorities in 1935. If that's the case,it took the powers-that-be a while to notice him!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bee.
                      Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Redacted

Comment

He was listed as 'English' on the border crossing in 1926, so I imagine they sent him 'back where he came from'!

And, yes, it could have been what he wanted - he still had a sister in England.

Bee.
                          Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Working...
                          X