Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery military man..Robt Alexander George Hay

Afternoon all;

Just had a message from Australia that has given me a new name that is a complete mystery to me. I need the birth cert to confirm the birth details but the info comes from an old family book.

Apart from a reference to being in the army (possibly a major, retired aged 51 in 1939) and the name Robert Alexander George Hay i know nothing about this chap.

Allegedly he is the son of Joseph Hay and Jane, birth ref Robert Alexander G Hay, Dec qtr 1888, Lincoln 7a 520 but he doesn't appear in the census that i can see.

Any suggestions?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

1891 census shows a Robert A G Hay, but with different parents
    RG12; Piece: 1971; Folio 59; Page 31
    Elaine

Comment

I tried the Qicksearch for TNA, and found this:
      WO 363 War Office: Soldiers' Documents, First World War 'Burnt Documents'
      Scope and content
      Hay Robert G - Hay William
      Covering dates 1914 - 1920
      May be some connections - and may be on Ancestry?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Anything in the London Gazette? or Times?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I wonder if this is the same as the 1891 census entry

Robert Alexander Greenson Hay
          Birth: 12 DEC 1888
          Christening: 10 MAR 1893 Bristol, Gloucester
          Father: Alexander Hay
          Mother: Elizabeth
          Elaine

Comment

The strange thing is that this chap is allegedly known as George by the family despite the other forenames, all the other children have just the one forename and one of them (who survived beyond 1901) is called George. If he is one of mine then he would be the first and only Robert in this family line, though to be fair there are a few George and Alexander entries over the years.

I did find this surviving "george" in the 1901 as a soldier, somewhere in Kent, of course i can't find either the entry or the image now!!

George Hay, abt 1880, East Hartlepool, Durham.

The military records are a pain for this lot, there are so many possibles when i search for the family names and there are very few with matching birth details that make me sure that i have the right records. Based on the return Elaine found i'm erring towards the info i have been given re Robert A G Hay is probably incorrect.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

So the boy who was born and registered in Lincolnshire in 1888 had different parents, had moved to Gloucestershire by 1891, where he was christened with a different third name.

Hmmmmm........

So, is there another Robert Hay with the right parents and set of names somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                I wonder if this is the same as the 1891 census entry

Robert Alexander Greenson Hay
                Birth: 12 DEC 1888
                Christening: 10 MAR 1893 Bristol, Gloucester
                Father: Alexander Hay
                Mother: Elizabeth

Looks very likely, it's post '91 so that matches with the area from the '91, the '91 shows Lincoln as pob and the 1888 bmd entry is Dec qtr so it all seems to fit together.

The cert would be the obvious step, either way it would be worth getting.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post

So, is there another Robert Hay with the right parents and set of names somewhere?
                  The parents don't appear in the '91 together anyway.

Joseph Hay died 1890, his wife is in Lincoln in the '91, (head and widow), she appears in the 1901 again in Lincoln, remarried to William Andrew Hay, there is never a Robert showing on the census with her.

Jane in 1891;
                  RG12; Piece: 2593; Folio 13; Page 20

Jane in 1901;
                  RG13; Piece: 3064; Folio: 90; Page: 17

The wife in the '91 Elaine found is shown as Elizabeth Grierson Hay.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                  X