but am non the wiser. Any suggestions?
    is it The Be......ck Chapel of ...... Bexley
    Jane

The line at the bottom says "In the chapel of St. Peter's"
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Picture of it here St Peter, Saffron Hill

Saffron Hill was a decidedly unsalubrious overcrowded area with large Irish and Italian communities.

Comment

More about the area here

Vision of Britain | Imperial Gazetteer entry for HOLBORN

Comment

Now I feel silly - I was so focussed on the top line that I didn't see the bottom one... doh! Thanks so much for the links Nell

At the time of the wedding the area I think may have been different, as their neighbours on the 1841 census were all professional people; lawyers, architects and the like.
          JANE

Comment

well, they obviously lived in a posher street. My husband's gt gt grandfather married 1848 and he was a cooper, but of course in London you had better-off folk near poorer ones. Holborn not only included Saffron Hill and its rookeries, but also the law court area of Lincoln's Inn Fields etc as well as the jewellers of Hatton Garden.

I can't see what the word in front of chapel at the top line is, and I can't find a history of the church which might help, but now you know which church you may have better luck.

Comment

OK, don't larf, but I think it says the DISTRICT chapel.

There was a chapel of ease attached to St Peter's, built in 1836.

OC

Comment

Ok District Chapel certainly looks feasible (??spelling) This may be a daft question but why would a chapel be attached to a church. And then I'm thinking isn't a Chapel where you would go to view a coffin (though I'm also associating the word with small places of worship in Wales and Chapels in hospitals). Perhaps I'm being particularly daft this early on a sunday morning, Jane

Comment

Jane

No, it was called a chapel because it was up the road a bit, away from the main church.

It was built as a chapel of ease for people who had a long journey to the main church, although it may only have been a few minutes away in reality!

My own local parish church however, has a chapel physically attached to it. You can choose to get married in the nave of the church, or in the chapel.

I have no idea why you would choose one over the other, but the marriage certs are "different" in that the chapel one says "married in the chapel of blah blah" and the church ones "married in the parish church", even though the two altars are only about ten feet apart!

OC

Comment

Lots of larger churches have a small chapel or even 2 small chapels attached, though I suppose I tend to associate the word with non-conformist places of worship

Wikipedia definition:
                    A chapel is a building used as a place for fellowship and of worship for Christians. It may be attached to an institution such as a large church, a college, a hospital, a palace, a prison or a cemetery, or may be an entirely free-standing building, sometimes with its own grounds. [1]
                    The word chapel is in particularly common usage in England, and even more so in Wales, for independent or nonconformist places of worship; and in Scotland and Ireland many ordinary Roman Catholic churches as well as non-Anglican church buildings are known to locals as "the chapel". In England, due to the rise in popularity of independent or nonconformist chapels throughout the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, by the time of the 1851 census more people attended the independent chapels, albeit at their own expense, than attended the state's Anglican churches.
                    A chapel is a building used as a place for fellowship and of worship for Christians. It may be attached to an institution such as a large church, a college, a hospital, a palace, a prison or a cemetery, or may be an entirely free-standing building, sometimes with its own grounds. [1]
                    The word chapel is in particularly common usage in England, and even more so in Wales, for independent or nonconformist places of worship; and in Scotland and Ireland many ordinary Roman Catholic churches as well as non-Anglican church buildings are known to locals as "the chapel". In England, due to the rise in popularity of independent or nonconformist chapels throughout the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, by the time of the 1851 census more people attended the independent chapels, albeit at their own expense, than attended the state's Anglican churches.

Comment

Nell

OK, heard you the first time, lol!

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X