Do you think there is a link?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think there is a link?

I have a set of twins in my tree, Knowler Christopher HUCKS & George HUCKS, baptised 1811.

I thought Knowler was a strange name, I have been trying to track down their mother's baptism, Sarah HALFHIDE, baptised approx 1784, without success.

I have found by chance, a baptism for a Knowler HALFHIDE on the IGI for 1791, parents Edward & Sarah. As this is such an unusual name, do you think there is a possibility I am on the right track & these could be Sarah's (Hucks) parents?

Any opinions/ideas welcome.

Joanie

Yes, definitely, but ideas and opinions are no substitute for facts!

Halfhide and Knowler are probably names which died out, which is why they appear unusual now.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There seem to be a lot of Halfhides on census & BMDs in the Greater London/Hertfordshire/Essex areas.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I would say they must be related, but they might not be Sarah's parents - they could be an uncle and aunt, for instance.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Nell. There is a little cluster of Halfhides baptised at St Margaret Pattens London. Is that anywhere near Bermondsey/Southwark?

One of them is a Sally Halfhide, baptised 07 AUG 1774, parents Edward & Sarah. Of course Sally is a pet name for Sarah. What do you think?

Joanie

Comment

St Margaret Pattens is in the City of London, other side of the river from Bermondsey/Southwark but not far as the crow flies.

Comment

Thanks Jill. Without any concrete proof I guess I won't ever know, but I will pencil in a possible link to investigate if I ever manage to!

Quite a few of their cousins were baptised in St Marks Kennington put down their place of birth as Lambeth.

Joanie

Comment

Edward and Sarah seem to have a daughter called Sally (Sarah?) but she is ten years adrift with her baptism (1774). The mum seems to be Sarah Knowler (m 1772)

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                  Thanks Nell. There is a little cluster of Halfhides baptised at St Margaret Pattens London. Is that anywhere near Bermondsey/Southwark?

One of them is a Sally Halfhide, baptised 07 AUG 1774, parents Edward & Sarah. Of course Sally is a pet name for Sarah. What do you think?
                  pmsl! *tells self not to watch TV whilst typing*

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    Edward and Sarah seem to have a daughter called Sally (Sarah?) but she is ten years adrift with her baptism (1774). The mum seems to be Sarah Knowler (m 1772)
                    Ooooo now that is interesting! Where were they married Merry? Have you gort the details?

I think I am on the right track, 1774 would fit. Sarah Halfhide married James Hucks in 1802, their last child was born in 1817, so she would have been 43, so not outside the realms of possibility

Joanie

Comment

How can it be interesting when you'd already posted it?

The marriage of Sarah K and Edward H is on the IGI 1772.

Comment

Bear in mind that marriage is a "submitted" one, but it does have a church and exact date, so it looks more likely to be real than some.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

You should be able to find out Sarah's age when she died and that will give you a better idea of when she was born.

Also, if the age you get from that doesn't match with a birth in 1774, there seems to be a big gap between baptisms of Edward and Sarah sr's children, so it could be that Sally died young and then there was a later Sarah / Sally who is your one?
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                            How can it be interesting when you'd already posted it?

The marriage of Sarah K and Edward H is on the IGI 1772.

The marriage is the interesting bit Merry, lol!!

Tottenham ! I wonder what took them over there? I know that Harriot Halfhide was George Halfhide's sister now; they are together in 1851. I can't find a baptism for George yet, he seems confused where he was born He was almost 20 years younger. Harriot's parents wer Edward & Sarah Halfhide, so I am hoping these are all related, if so George will be my first Undertaker

:D

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                              You should be able to find out Sarah's age when she died and that will give you a better idea of when she was born.

Also, if the age you get from that doesn't match with a birth in 1774, there seems to be a big gap between baptisms of Edward and Sarah sr's children, so it could be that Sally died young and then there was a later Sarah / Sally who is your one?
                              Kite I don't know when Sarah (Halfhide) Hucks b. 1774 ish died. She must have died before 1841. I assume she died around Bermondsey/Southwark area.

Joanie

Comment

Is it worth having a look on the Met Archives site to see if there are any relevant-looking Wills?

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine

Do you mean this one?
                                  Family research

I just tried that site & nothing coming up with their names.

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                                    Hi Christine

Do you mean this one?
                                    Family research

I just tried that site & nothing coming up with their names.

That was the one I meant. I hadn't looked, but thought it might be worth your doing so.

It might be worth having a play on TNA Quick Search
                                    I had a quick look, but didn't spot anything straight off.

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine. Why oh why didn't I take up some other hobby? Lol!

:D

Joanie

Comment

Working...
                                      X