Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for this place name please!

Hi Everyone

I am checking through info I have received about my rellies from someone else's tree. His name is John Masefield (1801) and from 1841 census to 1871 census he puts place of birth as London, Middlesex or just London.

However, on the 1881 (he died in same year) it is hard to read as a line through 'place', but transcriber has put London, Brent.
    Having looked at the image more closely I am not so sure so would be grateful for your expert opinions on this!

Class: RG11; Piece: 3015; Folio: 53; Page: 45 for John Masefield 80 widower.

Thanks in advance

Looks like Brent to me, too.

rosy

Comment

Thanks Rosy, I just thought that the bottom of the first letter didn't look like the bottom of the other B's on the page (if you'll pardon the expression)

I also should apologise as I have forgotten how to use the photobucket.

Comment

You don't need photobucket for words Kaz :D

Has my enthusiasm in the last few days sparked you off again :D
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Chrissie - sure has

This guy is my first Londoner so am completely at a loss

Comment

Are you sure it's not London, Kent?? (unhelpful comment, I realise!)

Comment

I'm not convinced Brent existed when he was born though it was the name of a London Borough before 1881.

Comment

I'm not convinced it's Brent. According to Wikipedia "Brent ... it's name derives from the River Brent which runs through the Borough." A search on Old Maps website does not bring up the place name."

Having said that, I have no other suggestions. I'll ponder on it.....
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Merry that was my initial thought that it might be Kent!
                  Keldon, thanks for that info, I was struggling to find a place called Brent 1801.

His daughter is Emma McLeish in same household wonder if she gave the info!

Thanks all for your replies

Comment

Could it be Barnet as this has a history of not quite knowing which part of Londoon it is! Barnet has been part of both Hertfordshire and Middlesex and is North of the river unlike Kent! I have never known an address as London Kent. Blackheath, now London used to be Kent as did Plumstead, Woolwich and Greenwich, but all these places were just Kent before they became London Boroughs. I used to work in Blackheath Kent!!

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 21-11-08, 13:25.

Comment

It looks like it ends in 'ent'. I wonder if it is worth trawling through this book to see if any place names seem identical?
                      The place names of Middlesex (including those parts of the county of London formerly contained within the boundaries of the old county) (1922)
                      Internet Archive: Details: The place names of Middlesex (inclucing those parts of the county of London formerly contained within the boundaries of the old county)
                      Phil
                      historyhouse.co.uk
                      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I don't think it starts with a B at all. The B in Birmingham (next entry and three down) are much more florid, even thought they differ a bit from each other. There are lots of other capital B's on the page, and they all have a single stroke to start. I also agree it ends in ent, but I can't think of a likely place.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for your replies Janet, Phil and Uncle John. I have removed Brent as place of birth for this relative for now. I shall have a look at that info later, thanks Phil.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply

Comment

I didn't look before Kaz because I don't know London areas very well at all. However, as it's you I've just had a look. I don't think it's a B either if the other B's are anything to go by. It's a pity that there aren't any other letters on the page that look just like it. It has a loop but the loop is on the line, not below it
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

What a shame they chose to put a black line over the front bit of the word!

I'm convinced it is neither a B nor a K but can't fathom out exactly what it is, nor does it ring any bells with London placenames I can think of.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

1871 his birthyear is given as 1805, birthplace London, England
                                1861 can't see him
                                1851 he gives birthyear as 1806
                                1841 can't find him

But assuming he was more accurate about his age when younger, this baptism would fit in:

JOHN MACEFIELD
                                Birth: 06 DEC 1804
                                Christeining: 27 FEB 1812 Saint Clement Danes, Westminster, London
                                Parents: ROBERT MACEFIELD & MARGARET
                                Batch # C041603

St Clement Danes is the church in the middle of the Strand, which runs west-east from Trafalgar Square to Fleet Street.
                                Last edited by Little Nell; 22-11-08, 13:10.

Comment

I suppose he might have given his birthplace as "St Clement" and what was recorded on the form was written incorrectly, either by the door-to-door collector or when transferred to the enumeration sheet.

Comment

There are no other baptisms for the same parents on that batch, so no siblings to help you trace parents.

London was a populous area and people changed address - and parish - quite a lot.

Comment

Sorry i didn't get chance to come back to thread yesterday (boys footie and had a 'do' to attend). Thank you, Nell for the baptism information! I will ponder that one.

Comment

Working...
                                      X