Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember Tom? Please help find his cousins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember Tom? Please help find his cousins.

Some kind people helped me find my OH's Tom Drake a few days ago. Now I'd like some help with his cousins.

Alice Drake (b. 1841 India) married Robert Stevenson Moseley (b 1827 India, d 1901 Middlesex) in 1861 in India.

They had 5 children:
    Henry Litchfield Moseley b 1866 probably in India
    Francis William Moseley b 1870 Lowestoft Norfolk
    Mabel Annette Lyall Moseley b 1872 Calcutta India
    Male Moseley b 1875 Benares India
    Eva Isabel Bovill Moseley 1876 Calcutta India

The family, or some of them, end up in England as I have them on the census. Alice's family are English but her father, grandfather and uncle were in the Army and lived in India for a time. Robert Moseley is also in the Army.

Francis W on 1881 RG11/2004/39/21 (There is also a Reginald aged 12, another brother?)

Robert, Alice, Francis, Mabel and Eva on 1891 RG12/1029/123/9

Robert, Alice, Mabel and Eva on 1901 RG13/1192/9/9

I also have found a Robert JD and Henry L and Alice LJ Moseley on the 1871. Ref: RG10/1867/19/73. I think Henry L is my Henry Litchfield but as I don't know the other children I'm not sure.

I have also found the death of a Robert John Dennys Drake on Search results (family spelling of Dennis) in 1897 who I suspect is the Robert JD above but I can't prove it.
    Kit

I may have a name for the unknown male - George Benson Moseley. Its a submitted record on the LDS but it is a starting point.
    Kit

Comment

I found this extract:

Moseley - Captain Robert John Dennys - 15th Ludhiana Sikhs - died 22nd May 1897.
      Grave at Cantonment Cemetery, Rangoon - "Sacred to the memory of Captain Robert John Dennys Moseley 15th The Ludhiana Sikh Regiment of Bengal Infantry and Adjutant of the Rangoon Battalion, Burma Military Police, who died at Rangoon 22nd May 1897. 33 years old. This monument was erected by his brother officers and the native officers and men of the Rangoon Battalion, B.M.P."
      From Officers Died M

does that help fit him in?
      Last edited by Orangeblossom; 21-11-08, 10:48.
      Tracy

Comment

That would be the Robert John Dennys I mentioned above and the date of birth would be abt 1864 which could mean he was the one on the census. Still need to tie him into the family.

I know he is part of the family but want more proof than his full name is his Dad's name, Mum's Dad's name and Mum's brother's name.

Not seen that site before. Off to have a look.
        Kit

Comment

Just found proof of Robert JD being the son. I found his wedding announcement in the Times in 1895 with General RS Moseley as his father.
          Kit

Comment

Looking on TNA QuickSearch (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/s..._search.aspx):

Records of the Military Department IOR/059/IOR/L/MIL 1708-1957
            Bengal Army Records IOR/L/MIL/10 1716-1907
            Bengal Service Army Lists IOR/L/MIL/10/20-69 c.1770-1858
            Bengal Service Army Lists IOR/L/MIL/10/36-67 1844-1858
            Bengal Service Army List IOR/L/MIL/10/54 1852
            Moseley, Robert Stevenson IOR/L/MIL/10/54/560

These documents are held at British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections
            There are a number of other MOSELEY records (not all of which are for Oswald).

Christine

PS... Same for (All are actually described as n.d. - i.e. no date, but bracketed with dated records) 1848:
            Moseley, Robert Stevenson IOR/L/MIL/10/45/560
            1849:
            Moseley, Robert Stevenson IOR/L/MIL/10/48/560
            1850:
            Moseley, Robert Stevenson IOR/L/MIL/10/50/560
            1857:
            Moseley, Robert Stevenson IOR/L/MIL/10/65/560
            1858:
            Moseley, Robert Stevenson IOR/L/MIL/10/67/560
            1868-9
            Moseley, Robert Stevenson Bengal Staff Corps IOR/L/MIL/10/80 ff.293-94

and there are at least two more.
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 22-11-08, 12:28.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Spotted this one 1877 - 1884:
              Moseley, Robert John Dennys IOR/L/MIL/9/299/152, 215

so would guess that there'll be a whole lot for him too.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

And then there are these (e.g. 1858):
                Moseley, George Wayland 38th & 64th NI, d 50 IOR/L/MIL/10/66/57

and (1857)
                Moseley, George Litchfield 38th NI, res IOR/L/MIL/10/65/455

and other records for both of them.

Christine

Comment

Don't know if this is at all relevant?

(no title) WKR/B1/Zp1 c.1830 - c.1920

These documents are held at Centre for Kentish Studies

1 vol.

Contents:
                  Album of prints from c,1830 and photographs from c.1870, military groups and individuals, scenes in India, Egypt and China (cover marked 'Major Andrew Moseley, 19th Royal Hussars', but including photograph of officer of the Regiment 1st Battalion by conjecture)

Comment

Thanks Christine I forgot about the tna. I'll have a look.

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    And then there are these (e.g. 1858):
                    Moseley, George Wayland 38th & 64th NI, d 50 IOR/L/MIL/10/66/57

and (1857)
                    Moseley, George Litchfield 38th NI, res IOR/L/MIL/10/65/455

and other records for both of them.

Christine
                    These people are Robert's father and brother.
                    Kit

Comment

Working...
                    X