Suggestions as to the surname please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions as to the surname please?

Can anyone suggest what the surname of Lignavita is please?

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

It looks like Reuel to me.

And on familysearch there is a Liquonite Reuel marrying William Heap...19/1/1829 in Snelston Derby England.

Comment

Originally posted by flashieboy View Post
      It looks like Reuel to me.

And on familysearch there is a Liquonite Reuel marrying William Heap...19/1/1829 in Snelston Derby England.
      Thanks Flashie but that is the marriage. I just didn't think it looked like Reuel.
      Their translation of Liquonite should have been Lignavitre :D

Comment

Lookes like 'Benet' to me - compare the middle letter to the 'n' in 'Banns'....?

But I could be horribly wrong.:D

Comment

You have a point there Penelope

Comment

Beuel, Beuit,Benel/et.
            Were they both from the same parish? If not there will be a set of other Banns. Why don't you try and find if there are banns from an other church.
            I have a Joseph Wilkes in his parish marrying as Joseph Weeks in his wifes parish.
            If it's to be, it's up to me.
            Searching for:
            English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Could it be Beach or Bench. The 1st letter is similar to the B in Banns.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Jeanie - I wouldn't know where to start looking for another parish. I have no idea where she came from

Thanks Wendy. I wondered about Beach too but I've just trawled through all the Beach/Beech on IGI on Family Search and there's nothing like a Lignavita.

I shall try trawling all the surnames mentioned so far

Comment

Why is it the most interesting records are always written down by the person with the WORST handwriting?:p

Comment

It isn't fair is it Penelope. Especially when you think that I have spent the last 4 years looking for a Smith :D

Comment

Hi Chrissie
                      Could it be Benel (the "l" on the end looks like the "l" in "William") as I googled Lignavita & a Dutch website came up (it was for a protein type supplement I think), so I checked on LDS for the Netherlands & although there was no Lignavita Benel there were a few other Benels - just another avenue to explore.
                      Can you find them on any census records which might show her place of birth?

Happy hunting
                      Expat
                      Expat in Oz
                      I wish I was not so confused:conf:

Comment

It looks like BENET to me, but I am wondering why the Registrar didn't spell it correctly - it is a simple-enough name and I would have thought the spelling was obviously Bennet(t).

OC

Comment

My first thought was a badly-written Benet (no cross on the t).
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I was of Wendy's mind, it looked like Bench or Beach.

Just shows how many different names we can come up with, just looking at the same writing. No wonder transcribers struggle sometimes.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Expat in Oz View Post
                              Hi Chrissie
                              Could it be Benel (the "l" on the end looks like the "l" in "William") as I googled Lignavita & a Dutch website came up (it was for a protein type supplement I think), so I checked on LDS for the Netherlands & although there was no Lignavita Benel there were a few other Benels - just another avenue to explore.

Happy hunting
                              Expat
                              Thank you EVERYONE for your suggestions.

No Expat, that's the trouble. She died in 1860 and I can find no sign of her/them in 1851 or 1841. I suspect that they are possibly mistranscribed but I have tried the obvious Heaps (their name) - Heap - Hea* - Hee* but still no sign.

Comment

Looks like Bench or Beach, although the h at the end isn't the same as the h at the end of Church.
                                Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Expat in Oz View Post
                                  Hi Chrissie

Happy hunting
                                  Expat
                                  I thought it looked most like BEUEL or BENEL. Benet is only the original version of Bennett, being an abbreviation of Benedict. Having said that, it usually does have a double-n when it's a surname... these days.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a description of "Lignum vitae", from which, I imagine, the name Lignavita is intended to derive, on Wikipedia (amongst other places).

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                    X