Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 20th November 2008 is.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of WDWTYA? 20th November 2008 is.....

brenmac

Well done Bren!!

merry i cant beleive it.i have just emailed you i will have to get my brick walls together.i never exspected it.i keep telling other to be ready.,im have been tryiny to find out who trevor,s grandad came over from ireland with,so i will look that u for tomorrow and thankyou again brenda xxx

Comment

Well done, Bren! Good luck with your brick wall - just hope it ain't as big as mine:D!

Chris

Comment

i have a letter written to robert mccartie(trevors (grandad)28th dec 1900,from the address on the letter is 195,canterbury road,croydon,surrey,london.is there any way of finding who where living at this address?i beleive roberts parents were living here.there names being robert john senior wife margaret breen,children robert john and kathleen.

robert senior was born london its his parents were john mccartie born cork ireland29/09/1846 mills street cork ireland,married a mary lived 67,loftus road,shepherds bush,london.he was a police inspector in the metropoliton police in 1868

again im trying to find who came with him from ireland he was 22 when he joined the police. he came over when the potato famine was on.brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by chrissiebee View Post
          Well done, Bren! Good luck with your brick wall - just hope it ain't as big as mine:D!

Chris
          thankyou wish i had got all of it together its come as a shock lol brenda xxx

Comment

I'm not sure that we are going to be able to find out who he came over from Ireland with, to be honest, Bren. I know we've tried that one before, but I don't think there are records of people coming over from Ireland.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've just done an address search on TNA and there's 194 and 196 Canterbury Rd in Croydon, but no 195!!

I think this is one for tomorrow!!! lol

Comment

Croydon only has 94 enumeration districts, not counting the institutions, so we should be able to find which of them Canterbury Road was in tomorrow. I did try a Rob* McCar* in Croydon search on ancestry to see if I could get it that way but no luck.

No, it's a bit less than 94 because it starts at 6. I hope that doesn't mean 5 of them are missing!
                KiteRunner

Comment

I was hoping Historical Directories website might help but it doesn't seem to be working this evening. I have found Canterbury Road on the 1881 census so we could try the tack of hoping some of its residents stayed put for 20 years!
                  This is the ref for some of the lower numbers in 1881:
                  RG11; Piece: 812; Folio: 114; Page: 12
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Congratulation Bren so pleased for you go get them walls down babe ;;
                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Well done, hope you manage to solve some of your brick walls!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                        I've just done an address search on TNA and there's 194 and 196 Canterbury Rd in Croydon, but no 195!!

I think this is one for tomorrow!!! lol
                        i think it is 196 the end number is missing because the leter has been read and re read
                        i thought maybe there were ships coming from ireland i know he docked at liverpool ,
                        someone from aged concern is coming this morning so i wont be on untill this afternoon,thankyou brenda xxxbrenda

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                          Same thing on FindmyPast - no 195 Canterbury Road showing up on the 1901 address search.
                          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                            i have a letter written to robert mccartie(trevors (grandad)28th dec 1900,from the address on the letter is 195,canterbury road,croydon,surrey,london.is there any way of finding who where living at this address?i beleive roberts parents were living here.there names being robert john senior wife margaret breen,children robert john and kathleen.
                            Are you sure the date of the letter is 1900?
                            If it is you wont find Roberts parents there at the time because according to his father's Army records they didn't marry until 1908 and Robert and Kathleen were born in 1909 and 1911.

.. or have you got the wrong generation - are you hoping Trevor's ggrandparents are there - if so what are their names?
                            Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 21-11-08, 09:02.
                            Elaine

Comment

In the 1913 directory on Historical Directories, there is a listing for Croydon:
                              Yallop William John, corn merchant, 196 Canterbury Road.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

And it seems that nowadays there is a place called Strucom House or Firstbase House, 188-196 Canterbury Road.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

1901 – mistranscribed as McCarlie (on Ancestry)
                                  RG13; Piece: 643; Folio: 7; Page: 6.

John Mc Carlie age 53 - occupation Coffee House Keeper
                                  Mary Mc Carlie age 43
                                  Denis Mc Carlie age 22
                                  Edward Mc Carlie age 15
                                  Elizabeth Mc Carlie age 18
                                  Francis Mc Carlie age 13

Address 196 Canterbury Road, Croydon
                                  Elaine

Comment

Good luck Brenmac
                                    I had a brilliant time last week, heaps of bricks came tumbling down, looks like you're off to a good start today

Expat
                                    Expat in Oz
                                    I wish I was not so confused:conf:

Comment

Oh, good work, Elaine. I didn't try looking for John instead of Robert!
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                        Oh, good work, Elaine. I didn't try looking for John instead of Robert!
                                        I spent two hours looking for Robert and wife Margaret :(
                                        Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 21-11-08, 15:03.

Comment

Working...
                                        X