Question for our Scottish members.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for our Scottish members.

What can you tell me about the Sutherland clan. Was going to start on grandsons other side, his grandmother was called Sutherland.
    Thanks
    Pam

Hi Pam,
    I just noticed your message - can you tell us a little more about your Sutherlands?

Just a little bit of trivia for you - by looking at the ancestry census I have come up with the following distribution of 'Sutherlands' in Scotland in 1901 -
    All Scotland - almost 13,000
    Caithness - 2,381
    Sutherland - 1,457
    Ross & Cromarty - 445
    Inverness shire - 278
    Lanarkshire - 1,780

So considering the small population in the north of Scotland that is a very large number of Sutherlands.

I look forward to finding out more about your Sutherlands.

herky
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

National Trust Names

Almost 1000 less Sutherlands in 1998 than in 1881?

Comment

Thanks Herky and Southwick.
        Have not yet started on the Sutherlands, just thinking about it. Have not done any Scottish researching at all. Just wondered if they were famous for anything
        Pam

Comment

they feature in medievel royal genealogies. they had an earldom or two back then.

Comment

My b-i-l has Sutherland family connections but I don't know any details.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
            X