Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great war

this is a quote from the Great War Website

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919: 80 volumes contain details of British Service personnel who died during the Great War. The volumes can be consulted at the Imperial War Museum Department of Printed Books (London) or at The National Archives (Kew, Surrey). The data has been captured on a CD-Rom which is available to buy: see Naval & Military Press for full information. If you cannot purchase the CD you could ask if it is available to view at your local library.

Does anyone know what the above mentioned details would be?
    Rose

It's available on FindmyPast but without doing a search I cannot see exactly what information is contained.

Can you see this link? Not sure if you need to be a FMP subscriber to see it.
    Search Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919
    Elaine

Comment

Just to give you an idea Rosie, this is the info on one of my ancestors, taken from the FMP database.

Name: Henry BRADLEY
      Memorial Scroll
      Purchase scroll

Regiment, Corps etc.: Corps of Royal Engineers
      Battalion etc.:
      Last name: Bradley
      First name(s): Henry
      Initials: H
      Birthplace: Limehouse, Middx.
      Enlisted: Poplar, Middx.
      Residence:
      Number: 233271
      Date died: 2 September 1917
      How died: Killed in action
      Theatre of war: France & Flanders
      Supplementary Notes: (I.W. & D.R.E.).

It's not much more than you get from the CWGC site.
      Elaine

Comment

hmmm he is mentioned on there. I need to check after tea to see how much credits are. Thanks so mucj Elaine.
        Rose

Comment

yes as you say, not much more than CWG.

What are the supplementary notes at the bottom?
          Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie Knees View Post
            What are the supplementary notes at the bottom?
            No idea! That is all the information you get - there are no links to the supplementary notes.
            Elaine

Comment

From Findmypast

Supplementary notes

* These are not always present.
              * For other ranks, this field is used for former regiment and regimental number, or for decorations (gallantry awards) such as the Military Medal (MM) or Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM). Campaign medals are not included.
              * For officers and some other ranks, this field may contain a note beginning with the abbreviation "Att". This denotes a particular battalion or regiment to which the soldier was attached.
              Elaine

Comment

Rose, try this link to "The Great War Forum"

Great War Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board).

A long time ago I posted a request for a look up on SDGW CD and the info back was
                name, No, Battalion, killed in Action France & Flanders 28/06/1918, and place of birth.

The members on the forum were friendly and helpful so give them a try.
                Helen in Glos

Comment

Thanks Helen. I have got all the information for my soldier that Elaine lists in her example above. I got it from the CWG site so nothing extra from FMP by the looks of it.
                  Rose

Comment

This has also just become available on Ancestry although the "Theatre of War" details are suspect (nearly every one says Aldershot!)

Jackie
                    Jackie

Comment

Jackie, I think the Ancestry one is a sligtly different database called The National Roll of the Great War, 1914-1918
                      Elaine

Comment

Definitely "Soldiers Died in the Great War" which was added 2 days ago (I think someone put a thread up about it)

I don't know if there is an easier way to access it but I found it by looking at "Recent Additions". Don't know if this link will work

Search UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 - Ancestry.co.uk

Jackie
                        Jackie

Comment

Apologies Jackie - must have missed that one!
                          Elaine

Comment

Hi Jackie. Thanks for that link. My chap is there. It says Aldershot; why is that I wonder?

'died of wounds'. Sad.

I am going round and round getting the same information. I think I will have to find an account of the battle his regiment was in to get a sense of it (if I can bear it). I know I will never get any more about him as he was a private.
                            Rose

Comment

Working...
                            X