Service Records for Soldier who died in WW11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Records for Soldier who died in WW11

My grandad has asked me if I could possibly find some more information on his older brother who was killed on February 8th 1944 at Battle of Anzio. We have his grave details from the CWGC and my grandfather has been to visit the grave, but he would like to know if possible more details on how exactly he died.

I only have experience researching first world war relatives so far. I sent off for my great grandfathers records who served 1915-1938 last year, so I'm familiar with the procedure for sending off for record still classified after 1920, but is it the same procedure with soldiers who actually died in service? Can we still get his records in that case and from the same source?

Also is there any other sources I could or should be thinking of that can perhaps help us build up a picture of what happened to my great uncle?

Thanks

Richard,

Second World War Records are still with the MOD and although you can get his death details and medal details that is all you are allowed for the present until MOD release these records. However, provided you can prove next of kin or can get a next of kin to agree that you can obtain records then you can write to the Army MOD in Glasgow, where you will have to complete forms and send £30 for further information on Second W War Activity. You may or may not get much for your money, but that is the chance you would have to take. I just got one page of my father's Royal Navy records but for me it was worth paying the money.

Army Personnel Centre,
    Disclosures 1,
    Mailpoint 520,
    Kentigern House,
    65 Brown Street,
    Glasgow,
    G2 8EX.

Tel: 0845 600 9663

e-mail: disc1.civsec@apc.army.mod.uk

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 20-11-08, 14:41.

Comment

Hi Janet

Thanks for info. Don't worry have the adress and info of the Historical Disclosures in Glasgow and am familiar with the procedure, I sent off the 30 pounds last year to get my great grandads service records from 1915-1938. However he survived, I just wasn't sure if the same was true for soldiers who died? My grandad is his nearest living next of kin so not a problem on that front.

Richard

Comment

I got my uncles he died in 1939 right at the start of the war and I only got one page , not really worth the £30 as it told me not more than I already knew really.

Comment

Working...
        X