X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family History Online site is closing down soon

This from their home page:

No more 20 and 50 pound vouchers
    We're now finalizing plans to close down the service with the transfer of most data to findmypast. More details will be posted in the next few days, but the closure cannot take place until at least mid-December and probably later. However, as an immediate measure £50 and £20 pound vouchers are no longer available for purchase.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

So that means that when all the data is tranferred to Findmypast it is going to cost a lot more money to view the records. At present on Familyhistoryonline it is 6 pence for details of a burial/baptism entry which now costs approx 34pence on Findmypast if you buy 60 credits for £6-95.
    Moggie

Comment

There will be winners and losers, as always.

Selfishly, I'm happy because I took out an annual subscription, and FMP has provided me with so many deaths and burial dates (some prior to civil registration) that I wouldn't have got otherwise.

I use FMP more and more.

They also offer a loyalty discount when you renew, which Ancestry doesn't.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I wonder whether they will transfer unused credits over to your findmypast account? I seem to remember that was what happened when findmypast took over The National Archivist.
        KiteRunner

Comment

I am sure I read somewhere Kate that any credits will be transferred to FMP.
          Elaine

Comment

FAQ Family History Online

You will be able to continue using the FamilyHistoryOnline vouchers until the end of the current service. At that point, arrangements will be made to convert the outstanding balance on partially-used vouchers to findmypast.com credits. You will be notified in advance of how to activate your credits, so please make sure you keep your email address correct and up-to-date by using change details under the account menu tab when you are signed on. You will also then be able to exchange any FamilyHistoryOnline vouchers you have not started to use for findmypast.com vouchers.
            Elaine

Comment

What a shame - that's a real loss for people who don't want an FMP sub.

Comment

I agree. I've also got very used to how FHO works whereas FMP isn't something I use much - and I've just renewed my Ancestry sub so not much cash to spare for a sub to FMP.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You can just buy credits for findmypast, though - you don't have to take out a full sub. That reminds me - my local library is supposed to provide free access to findmypast, but I think it is only on one particular computer. I must find out which one it is next time I go!
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Yes, but the FMP credits are a lot more expensive than FHOL, as Moggie said.

Comment

Working...
                    X