England to Sistersville in 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England to Sistersville in 1911

I think on Ancestry I have found Caroline Ruth Dowsett (my great aunt or maybe my grandfather's wife - or even my grandmother- it is complicated! :D) travelling from England to Sistersville, West Virginia in 1911. She is described as a servant and it looks as though she was travelling alone.

It just seems odd. By 1918 she was back in England - getting married twice!

Again this is not really a question - but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts as to why she might be travelling there alone
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 19-11-08, 20:12.
    Joan died in July 2020.

She went there to avoid being on the 1911 census?

Comment

PMSL, Merry :D:D:D:D
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

US of A was the land of golden opportunity, so maybe she just went for a looksee, and better wages as a servant over there than back here.

Interesting though - wonder if that's where she met Mr Platt???

OC

Comment

Oh, right!

A one horse tiny village of 300 people until they struck oil, when the population rose to 15,000 almost overnight in 1895.

Posh hotels, opera houses etc. Lots and lots and LOTS of rich, unattached men!

OC

Comment

Is that on the Ancestry ships thing? If so a kind member here grabbed me a couple of voyages and what I didn't realise was there was actually 2 pages of info, which also included the name of the person who paid the ticket and the next of kin at home and the address they were planning on staying at and who with.

Worth checking you might be able to give us some more clues ;)

did you get the legal stuff I sent at the weekend? :p

Comment

Thanks OC - interesting!!

And thanks Peppie- it was on the Ancestry passeger list- have PM'd you re e-mails gone AWOL!
              Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 19-11-08, 20:53.
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

So on page 2 it says she was going to visit her uncle Hugh Smith, who had paid for her ticket. Can't quite make out his address but it was New something, Sistersville.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Gosh, Kite - thanks

I should be able to get to the library tomorrow to take a look.

I haven't come across any Smiths before !!

The plot thickens, if it weren't thick enough already :D
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Are you sure that there aren't 2 Caroline Ruth Dowsett's if you didn't know about her having a Smith Uncle, or have you not traced her family back?
                    Lynn

Comment

Lynn, I am sure it is her because the age is right, and the name and address of next of kin are right.

And thanks again, Peppie, re the info about 2 pages - I had no idea there could be more than one page! - and to Kite for looking.

Tomorrow will look up the other rellies I have found on the Ancestry lists in case there are further pages for them too
                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I graned when I saw the name smith :D maybe able to see how you can link them ? :D

Comment

LOL, Peppie :D - I've been lucky so far most that all the surnames have been relatively unusual.

Just looked on Family Relatives for a possible Dowsett/Smith marriage - should have known that would be too simple!! :D
                          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

What was Caroline's mother's surname?
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Hello Kite - I am not 100% sure, but I think she was Annie (Ann) Parish born Chard 1860
                              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

HI All

For those of you with access could this be Caroline's mum in the 1871 census with the surname of Smith. Ann also has a brother called Hugh which would make him Caroline's Uncle.

RG10; Piece: 2404; Folio: 71; Page: 27
                                WendyP

Comment

Thanks, Wendy -

Will have a look
                                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Wendy - thank you again - I am sure you must be right because in the census records after her marriage to John, Ann/Annie's place of birth is Combe/Coombe St Nicholas - the same as the record you have found. Her marriage to John Dowsett must have been a second marriage, I presume

Thank you
                                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Sorry, a little off topic, but regarding the passenger lists, how do you access the second page? I would be delighted if I could find this extra information for one of my people but can't see how to get it. I have looked at the next image and it is just the next list of people and not more information for my man. What am I doing wrong?
                                      Christine
                                      Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
                                      Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Chris, on the one I looked at, I just clicked on "next page" and it was there. Is it the same database that you're using?
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                        X