Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Battles and pow - Advice please!

Hi Everyone

I have recently obtained my Great Uncle's WW2 records. He was a Gunner in the Royal Artillery 13th Anti-tank Regiment. (some records believed destroyed)

On 31/8/1942 is reported missing believed to be POW W.D Egypt. It then says card from soldier to NOK and says POW in Italian hands in Camp 154 P.M 220 and that he was captured in the zone of El Alamein. He later reverts back to missing (no date given) It is added later that he is presumed dead while a POW between 31/10/42 and 14/11/42. He is on the memorial in El Alemein

I have googled but even though there is plenty about the battle of El Alamein and lists of Regiments, I cannot find mention of the 13th Anti-tank RA in Egypt at that time and certainly no reference to this Italian POW 'camp'. Although others are listed.
    Is there anyone who could point me in the right direction re: books etc or am I missing something obvious as never done this sort of research before!

Thanks for reading (sorry it's a bit long)

I can only suggest googling to see if there is a WW2 forum where they might be able to help you...

Comment

See if there is an entry date on the records. I have seen some where the death is recorded and later they are MIA. Sometimes the information doesn't get put on the file in the right order.

Also my OH has a POW relative as well. He was moved several times while held captive.
      Kit

Comment

Thanks, Barbara and Kit .

I took your advice and googled again and have sent off a message to someone who knows about pow's so fingers crossed.

Kit, they have given a two week span for when he might have died but am sure it was difficult to keep track at that time.

These records are completely different to the family story we grew up

Comment

Working...
        X