Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate Office - High Holburn

I am confused and angry!

I went to the probate office in High Holburn back in October. I found 4 entries that I wanted duly filled out my forms, went to the desk to have them checked, then paid the cashier and then returned to the desk to hand them in. The one hour service wasn't going to be an hour so I was happy for them to be posted within 7 days.

Well by this Monday just gone they hadn't arrived (3 weeks from date of order) so I made a phone call. Well to cut a long story short they've lost them. :( but the person I was speaking to said they'd look to see if they could find them. They rang back yesterday to say that they can find 2 of them so will send them.

They've just rung again now to say can't find the other two in the registers. This is where I have a HUGE difficulty as I found them in the register and the clerk at the counter ticked the info off as correct. I don't have the ref to hand but was able to give practically all the information contained (from memory) bar the deceased inside leg measurement to the person on the phone - so given that they have lost my order I asked how they would refund my £10. This question was stonewalled, I then asked how come I could find the reference and they can't this also was stonewalled, I then asked how it was possible that the original orders lost also stonewalled. :(

I am not a happy bunny but this rant has made me feel better!
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

That sounds really annoying, Bo. If you would like me to check the references for you at my local record office, I could do that (if they are before 1969, anyway).
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

When I went to the Probate Office last year I got 15 wills. :o

However, they couldn't find one, and it took 3 weeks before it finally turned up by post, but not before I had had to keep phoning up and reminding them. If I had left them to it, I think I would still be waiting.

Again, they had no explanation as to why they couldn't find it.

Bo, you have a contract with them - money exchanged hands. They either find your documents or they give you a refund.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

They couldn't find one of mine - the name in the register was mis-spelled as Freederick ( which I copied ) the lunchtime relief clerk corrected it to Frederick, I had a phone call later to say they couldn't find it. Luckily I had the details of another will for someone else which they took details for over the phone & sent instead.

Comment

When I ordered one, I got mine plus someone else's...

Comment

That would be very annoying. If you can I would go back and query it in person. It is less easy to fob you off in person, the phone is easy.

Good luck. I hope you get it soon.
            Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
              That would be very annoying. If you can I would go back and query it in person. It is less easy to fob you off in person, the phone is easy.

Good luck. I hope you get it soon.
              Unfortunately going back in person is not an option as I live in Wales - otherwise there would be some serious stomping going on! :D
              Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Working...
              X