Mark & Frances Overment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark & Frances Overment

Frances is one of my Skillings, born Gt Ryburgh who marries Mark Overment in the 1850s. I can follow the family through to 1881.

Could sks with an Ancestry sub tell me whether Mark is a widow on the later censuses (when he moves to Yorkshire) and whether the Frances who ends up in Rotherham is a complete red herring or not?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

1891 census
    RG12; Piece: 3944; Folio 15; Page 24
    transcribed as Mark Dearment, born 1831 Draughton, Norfolk, England
    listed as married, occupation milkman.
    living with son John

Is this the right one?
    Elaine

Comment

1901 census
      RG13; Piece: 4463; Folio: 28; Page: 4.
      Mark Overnment b 1827 Dougton, Norfolk
      listed as married
      living with son Robert
      Elaine

Comment

RG13; Piece: 4392; Folio: 177; Page: 20.
        Francis Overment b 1839 Norfolk
        listed as widow
        living with

William H Johnson c 1873 Rotherham, c Head
        Elizabeth Johnson c 1876 Nk, Norfolk, Wife
        and family

Frances is listed as mother in law.
        Elaine

Comment

Yep, that's the right Mark, thank you Elaine. And if he says he's married still, then the Frances who moves to Rotherham is probably his wife. I just wonder why she's not with him? It looks as he is solidly settled.
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I see on the 1881 census Mark and Frances have a daughter Elizabeth born 1867 Norfolk - so it looks as if the Frances in 1901 is not a red herring!
            Elaine

Comment

Ooh, thank you! Mark & Frances had a daughter Elizabeth born c 1876, so it does look like the right people. I wonder if Elizabeth was just about to have a baby? But then Frances dies in Rotherham, so it looks as if the arrangement became permanent.

Comment

I know this won't help much but I am convinced these are their daughters Jemima & Margaret, both state they were born Rotherham!

1891 :

RG12; Piece: 3455; Folio 82; Page 4

Joanie

Comment

It does, though, Joan! Frances' mum was called Jemima, so that looks like a clincher.

Comment

I wonder why they say they were born in Rotherham though? How strange, unless Frances told them they were, lol!

Joanie

Comment

I wonder? Frances in 1891 ?

RG12; Piece: 3846; Folio 122; Page 27

Thomas Brown single Labourer in Iron Plate mill 42
                      Frances Onement Housekeeper 53
                      Elizabeth Onement daughter Day girl ? (mistranscribed as Brown) 15

It is definitely spelt like that, but maybe the enumerator got the spelling wrong?

Joanie

Comment

Heck, I've just noticed the time! Must get home now!

Thank you for your efforts ladies. I pursued an interesting cul de sac as there were no fewer than THREE Jemimas: Frances had a daughter who died and her (I assume) bil named his daughter Jemima at the same time. I was trying to work out how someone dead could also marry!

Comment

Hi Phoenix.
                          Hope you pick this up...
                          Have only just joined FTF but found your old posts re Frances Skillings. She is my Gt Gt Grandmother - One of Mark and Frances's children (John) married Dinah Woodhouse, their daughter Gladys married an Ernest Frederick Bone, and one of their sons was my Dad (William). I have a bit of informaiton on one of Frances's siblings who was a bit of a bad lad and emigrated to US for a fresh start.
                          Hopefully you are still using FTF and we can compare notes!
                          Trish

Comment

Hi Trish, welcome to the Forum.
                            Phoenix hasn't logged into the forum for some time. I'll send her a message to let her know you would like to make contact.
                            Elaine

Comment

Working...
                            X