1911 census email from Findmypast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census email from Findmypast

Got an email from them today about the 1911 census records being online soon, but was interested more in seeing that
    Additional details recorded for married women:

• Years married
    • Children born to present marriage, living or deceased

Dont know how many of you knew that I am so excited cannot wait.

Do I take it they wont be available on Ancestry ???

As I understand it, Ancestry won't have the 1911 census when it is first released.

I know there's a wealth of information on the census and it nicely fills the gap between the end of previous censuses/Freebmd's extensive coverage and the beginning of family memories and papers. It also has the advantage of being the original sheets - so a chance to see an ancestor's writing.

BUT whether it will be better transcribed than the others - who can tell!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If the questions are answered correctly, it will be great. Knowing my ancestors' propensity to guess/lie/forget I will take the answers with a pinch of salt!
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Val

It will be on a dedicated, pay per view site till they have recovered their outlay and made a nice profit.

(Welcome - Family Tree Forum, or something!)

Nope, not that!

OC
        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 18-11-08, 20:22. Reason: silly url

Comment

Now I now why they have asked if I'd like to register for it ????

Comment

These two (consecutive) elements of the FMP newsletter look very promising!

Bargain vouchers

Get them while stocks last!

Findmypast.com will shortly be launching a new pricing plan for its vouchers, which will see the longstanding 50 units for £5 option withdrawn.

Grab a bargain

The £5 for 50 units voucher is better value than the equivalent online payment option of £6.95 for 60 units and can be activated at your leisure.

So act fast and grab yourself a bargain. £5 (50 unit) vouchers are still widely available from our stockists, but not for much longer.
            1911 census ready vouchers

It’s worth noting that, when it’s launched, the units from these vouchers, like all findmypast.com units, can be used to view the 1911 census on its official site.

You will be able to sign in to the official 1911 census site using the email address and password you use to sign in to findmypast.com – you will not need to register again.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

As I haven't seen any pricing structure for the 1911 site yet, I'll pass!

OC

Comment

I think that "bargain vouchers" thing just means they're putting their prices up soon and want to sell off the old vouchers. But we don't know how many units it will cost to view each 1911 census entry anyway. And you would need to be able to get to one of the places where they sell those vouchers without incurring extra transport costs! If you buy 280 units online from their site it will cost you £24.95 whereas buying 5 vouchers would only get you 250 units, so if you think you will be using lots of units that would work out better.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Benny

They will not be releasing ALL the census in one go anyway. they will start with the major cities, so probably London first and hopefully, Manchester second, lol.

At least that way it won't crash the minute it opens!

OC

Comment

For those who wish to see what the 1911 will look like there are two images on my website at
                    cenind

Cheers
                    Guy
                    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by benny1982
                      That is amazing Guy. An actual 1911 census image. They look similar to American ones.

I bet if I asked for a £45 lookup for my ancestors at their London address, I bet they will not be there on that night and they will have been holidaying in Great Yarmouth at the time and I have wasted the money lol and that is the only time they have ever left London.

Ben
                      Not only an actual 1911 census image but the very first two 1911 census images and census transcripts to ever be released. ;)

It was these images that allowed the 1911 census to be released early.
                      Cheers
                      Guy
                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        Benny

They will not be releasing ALL the census in one go anyway. they will start with the major cities, so probably London first and hopefully, Manchester second, lol.

At least that way it won't crash the minute it opens!

OC
                        I don't suppose Manchester will include Altrincham?
                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

*sniggers at Muggins*

Not unless it also includes Gawsworth, Cheshire!

OC

Comment

So we will be able to access the original images and the last column will be blanked out like the one on Guy's website, saying neither confirm of deny?

As it says we can log in with our FMP email and password do you think if we have FMP we will need to pay for the site or will it be part of our FMP package?
                            Kit

Comment

Kit, we don't think it is going to be included in the subscription package to start with.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

That's a shame. My sub is about to run out and I can't decide whether to renew. I'd definitely keep it if the census was going to be on it.
                                Kit

Comment

Do the Findmypast vouchers have an expiry date ?

Clare

Comment

This is what it says:
                                    As well as buying units online via our website, you can also purchase vouchers that can be redeemed on our website. Vouchers are available in denominations of £5. Once you redeem a £5 voucher on findmypast.com, your account will be credited with 50 units that will last for 90 days.

I see you can actually buy the vouchers online, so you don't have to get to an actual place where they sell them:
                                    Online bookshop
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                    X