WWl Medals won by J White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWl Medals won by J White

My uncle, Joseph White, was reputed to have been born on 3rd October 1900, though I have not been able to confirm this, and married my mother’s sister…Hannah Brown.
    I have a black and white photograph of him in Home Guard uniform taken in 1941 and clearly showing, what can only be, WWI medal ribbons; but too indistinct to recognise
    He lived most of his life in Liverton Mines, North Riding of Yorkshire and died there in 1975 but I do not know his birth place
    Can anyone, please, tell me how I find out what these medal ribbons are, and any details of his army service.
    Graham Suggett

They were probably the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, but the way to check would be to find his WW1 medal roll index card - Ancestry has them available to download and so does The National Archives site but if you have an ancestry sub then use that because TNA charges £3.50 to download a set of six. The problem is going to be working out which of many Joseph Whites he is, of course, and ancestry doesn't have the "W" surnames' service records online yet. Some of the medal index cards do have an address on the back so we might get lucky there.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh, I just had an idea if there isn't enough info on ancestry medal cards to figure it out - if you can get a copy of his marriage certificate then it will give you his father's name and occupation, and hopefully then we will be able to find the family on the 1901 census, which should tell you Joseph's birthplace. Then when the "W" service records go online, if you're lucky his will be one of those that didn't get destroyed in a fire and you can work out which one he is.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Graham, do you know when Joseph and Hannah got married? If it was while he was in the army then the marriage certificate might give his army number etc. But I can't see their marriage listed on FreeBMD so I would guess it was after the war?
        KiteRunner

Comment

Graham, if he were born in 1900, he would be quite young to be serving in the First World War.

I think you need to establish his date of birth before searching for medals from the Great War.

Good luck!
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I had an Uncle George born in May 1899 who joined up in the first world war he actually was in the same regiment as his father, so its possible Elizabeth, in fact nothing surprises me about my lot anymore.

Comment

I just looked at the death registrations to see if he had a middle name (he didn't!), but I did notice a discrepency......

Liverton Mines was in Cleveland district from 1936-1974. There's only one death reg there for a Joseph White during 1975 as follows:

Joseph White 1975 Q3 Cleveland Volume 3 Page 1865 date of birth: 3rd Oct 1896

Now, maybe you know that this is incorrect, but I thought I'd post it anyway! lol

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                They were probably the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, but the way to check would be to find his WW1 medal roll index card - Ancestry has them available to download and so does The National Archives site but if you have an ancestry sub then use that because TNA charges £3.50 to download a set of six. The problem is going to be working out which of many Joseph Whites he is, of course, and ancestry doesn't have the "W" surnames' service records online yet. Some of the medal index cards do have an address on the back so we might get lucky there.
                Not any more - they're £2.00 for a set of six, now. this link tells you all about WW1 medals.
                The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | World War One medal cards

Christine

PS - Welcome to Graham!
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oh, if he was born in 1896 then he may have got the 14 or 14/15 Star too - I was assuming that if he was born 1900 then he would only have served towards the end of the war and these were awarded for service overseas in the first 2 years of the war.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                  X