Help with birth please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with birth please.

I have been searching the birth of my GG Grandfather Charles House for a while, he was noted on some census as being born in Quebec, Canada and me and a cousin in Canada thought we had sorted it all out after finding he had an older brother born in a Garrison in 1824, as their father was a British soldier serving in Canada.
    We have now discovered that there was only one child born to Sarah and William House in Canada and they returned to Britain and he was discharged at Woolwich, in August 1824
    We have our GG Grandfather on all the census from 1851 to 1881 and on the 1851 he is noted as being born in Boretel, Somerset, the closest to this I have found is Burtle, Somerset. His father and younger brother were born in Nunney, Somerset.
    Have just found his parents on 1841 census in Nunney, Somerset, but not Charles.
    We have searched high and low for this man's birth without success, any suggestions from the clever people on here would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Morfydd from Mid Glam; 18-11-08, 13:43.

Possibly a stupid Q, but how sure are you that the one who says he was born in Somerset is the same person as the one who says he was born in Canada?

Comment

We have our GG Grandfather on all the census from 1851 to 1881 and on the 1851 he is noted as being born in Boretel, Somerset, the closest to this I have found is Burtle, Somerset.
      Have you got the 1851 census ref for that, as I can't find anyone born in Boretel and the people called House born in Nunney don't have a son called Charles that I can see!

UPDATE I've just realised I'm looking at Charles parents, so where is he?!!!

Comment

Hi Merry.
        In 1851 he was in Blaenavon, Monmouthshire, Folio:153
        Page:15.
        Could the Boretel, be Bristol, Somerset?

Comment

Oh, lol!!! Wales! Never thought to look there......

Well the handwriting looks like Barstol Somersetshire. Did his mother-in-law live for another census as she has the same birthplace.

Comment

lol!! I see mum-in-law was born in Monmouthshire on the following census......that's not very helpful! pmsl

Comment

I would have thought the Quebec would be the more likely birthplace as you wouldn't generally make that up and maybe his m-i-l didn't realise he was born abroad? if she was just asked "where is he from" she might have said Bristol, (or Barstol!)

Comment

Looked on my tree and have Charles MIL down as being born in Bristol.
                We now think he put down Quebec in two of the census as his elder brother William was born there and we have seen proof of this, but my cousin has information regarding their father's military record and William is the only child born in Canada, there is no record of Charles.

Comment

Well in 1861 Mary Watkins aged 72 and living at the same addy as 1851 (Penygarn Trevethin) said she was b at Goitre, Monmouthshire.

Apologies if those spellings are wrong!

Comment

We now think he put down Quebec in two of the census as his elder brother William was born there and we have seen proof of this, but my cousin has information regarding their father's military record and William is the only child born in Canada, there is no record of Charles.
                    When did William senr leave the army?

Comment

Don't you worry Merry, your spelling is fine.
                      William Snr was discharged at Woolwich, 31 August 1824

Comment

OK, so that brings us back to Bristol again (I think it should say Bristol)!

Comment

Actually (You won't want to hear this!), I suppose if he thought he was born in Quebec then it's unlikely his M-i-L actually asked him where he was born, or he would have said Quebec! So, if she assumed Bristol for whatever reason, that might be completely wrong! Maybe he was born at Woolwich or on the return ship?!!

Comment

He is noted as being born about 1826 on most census, but on his death certificate, he was down as 71 in 1888, that would make his birth about 1817 but apparently he wasn't born while his father was in the military.
                            Don't they love to make it difficult for us.

Comment

Who registered his death?

Comment

Charles death was registered by the master of the Union Workhouse, Abergavenny.

Comment

Oh so he might not have had accurate info. I would go with the later birth date then.

Comment

This man hasn't made anything easy.:D
                                    I'm grateful for your help Merry, thank you.

Comment

I suppose at least you do know who his parents are, so that's better then nothing! lol

Comment

That's very true Merry, thank you again for your help.

Comment

Working...
                                        X