Grrrrrrr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrrrrr

I am really cross - I have just spent a few pounds to gain access to a site which promised access to USA records and it was a total waste of time and money. Every single search that I did came up with "no matches", even though I used only the surname and I know that there are thousands with that name, and were hundreds in the late nineteenth century which is the time that I was particularly interested in.

Anyway, moan over - but please does anybody know of a USEFUL site which doesn't cost the earth where I could find out about the death of someone in New York in the late nineteenth century??
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Have you tried Italiangen? (despite the name, it's not just for Italian immigrants)

Vital Records

Comment

Thank you Mary - I will have a look; from now on I will only go on recommendation!

Just looked - wow, what a lovely site!! Unfortunately my information wasn't there, but it has restored my faith in the internet.
      Last edited by sally; 17-11-08, 20:42.
      Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

I haven't needed it myself, yet, but I believe it's a free site.

Comment

Yes it is Mary, but they are asking for donations in order to continue to add to the database.
          It really is very good

Comment

It's often recommended on the Rootsweb NYC mailing list. Might be worth your while joining to ask for advice.

RootsWeb: Genealogy Mailing Lists: USA/NY/misc

Comment

If it's New York City you want, then Ancestry.com -- Browser Upgrade has New York City deaths 1892-1902 and New York Marble Cemetery records 1830-1937, and some newspaper obituaries going up to the 1880's. You can buy pay-as-you-go credits to use on ancestry.com if you are only likely to view a few records, and you should be able to search the databases for free to see if there is a match before you buy the credits.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
              X