Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel...where on earth are you????

:(

I need help please, and I understand this site is an effective one. I'm trying to trace one Daniel Cork(e) born, according to census dates, in 1845 in Chelsea, Surrey (!) then altered on next census to Chelsea, Middlesex.
    He cannot be found on the 1851 census but appears from 1861 onwards. I am happy with him from then on and have his wife and children sorted.

My problem is his parentage. I bought his marriage certificate which states that his father is Richard. I had thought that his father was Richard Corke born 1813 in Stone, Kent, but cannot find proof of this. Will willingly buy any certs needed to sort this out.

To save kind people's efforts, I do not need any census lookups, but a baptism record or proof of birth would be invaluable.

If Richard of Stone is his father then his mother is probably Jane born in Ch..........in Surrey. (can't read the 1861 census), so could Daniel have been born there (wherever it is) too?

Any thoughts and advice would be so much appreciated because he is driving me
    Thank you.

Chertsey, Surrey?

Comment

Have I read this on another site?

Chertsey & Chelsea do sound similar

( I think they are in Seal in 1851- dont have full access )
      Last edited by Jessbowbag; 17-11-08, 20:54.
      Jess

Comment

What was his father´s occupation on the marriage certificate - and does the names of witnesses help to fit him in with the Richard/Jane Corke family found in 1861?
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Jess, yes I have asked elsewhere(!) Hoping for fresh eyes here.
          Hi Elaine, Farm labourer would you believe???? The witnesses were from his wife's family.
          Hi Mary, Chertsey, Chelsham......? I just don't know. Am trying to make enquiries in those areas but not getting very far at the moment. Thanks everyone....no stone unturned and all that!

Comment

Had a look on BIVRI
            Richard Corke m Jane Clark 27 dec 1824 Withyham Sussex
            children (most are on IGi) all baptised Kent
            Sarah Ann 3 jul 1825 Ashurst
            William 22 apr 1827 Cowden
            Mary 29 mar 1829 Cowden
            George 9 oct 1831 Cowden
            Richard nov 1833 Cowden
            Emma 18 oct 1835 Cowden
            Sophia 30 jun 1839 Cowden
            James 7 nov 1841 Cowden
            Martha 22 feb 1846 Cowden

Jane 11 dec 1842 Ightham

Also with parents Richard and Jane
            James 19 mar 1848 Reigate
            Stephen 23 feb 1851Pyrford
            Eliza 11 dec 1853 Seal
            Alice 12 oct 1856 Seal
            Mary Ann 16 feb 1862 Seal

am thinking two separate families

hope this helps
            Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

I expect you have seen the marriage on free BMD for a Richard Corke - with a possible match to Jane Apps -
              Marriages Mar 1845
              London volume 2 page 155

If this is the right couple it is possible Daniel was born prior to the marriage - but I cannot see a Daniel Apps birth registration so not much help really!
              Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 17-11-08, 21:33.
              Elaine

Comment

Dawn, if you're happy that your Daniel Corke is the one in Offham on the 1871 census (married to Olive) then there is a Richard Corke, widower, living next door to them, who is aged 59 and born in Kent, Stone, and I would think this is a fairly safe bet for his father.

Carolyn
                :D Carolyn

Comment

Hi Jayne. The bottom family are the ones I am interested in I think. Hadn't heard of the others that I can remember. Why do Richards seem to marry Janes???Thanks.
                  Hi Elaine. This is the marriage I had but am now not sure. Thanks.
                  Carolyn. This is definitely the right Daniel and family and that's exactly what I thought about Richard. Thanks.
                  However, coming clean.....there is an enormous thread on Rootschat re Mysterious Richard Corke. I was brought in part way through because I had put a similar post on ages ago and now I am so confused that I thought I would concentrate just on Daniel.
                  I'm willing to post on a site in outer Mongolia if they can help!!! Thank you all.

Comment

Working...
                  X