• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another uniform

another uniform, please any ideas on uniform and date, thanks,

Looks like a police uniform to me.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I would go along with Wendy on this and also add that he may have been a Special rather than a regular. The medal ribbon that is shown looks like it could well have been the Special Constabulary Long Service Medal which was instituted in the August of 1919.

don

Comment

Could he be Irish?

Comment

Could be, there are Irish ancestors on one side of my family. Why, do you think it could be from Irish side ?
          I also thought it looked like a police uniform, any ideas on dating ? or any sites may be able to get more info on police uniforms ?

Comment

I just thought it had a look of an RIC uniform, my guess looking at the photo would be 1920s. You could try googling Royal Irish Constabulary, or if it's a bit later Garde, ( not sure how to spell it)

Comment

It's Garda (Garda Síochána).
              Some pictures of pre-Garda uniforms here: PoliceHistory.com
              Click on "Before the Garda Síochána" and then click through to part 3.
              The link "Some Museum Exhibits" also leads to some small pictures of uniforms.
              Sarah

Comment

yes police uniform seargent by the look of it brenda xxx

Comment

Could the stripes on the sleeve represent (at wrist level) his years of service or possibly commendations.

Comment

Yogi that's a good point, the military have good conduct stripes.etc.....

Comment

Working...
                    X