Help Reqired Regarding a Marriage in Southampton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Reqired Regarding a Marriage in Southampton

Some years ago I found on fiche in Southampton Library the marriage of Edward O'Neill and Louise Sumpster June Quarter of 1920. Unfortunately, at the time I just noted the date and not the reference nos required to obtain a certificate. I have now decided to obtain the certificate, and was unable to find this marriage on Free BMD. I am now left wondering did I dream up this marriage, or has it just been left off Free BMD by mistake. Can anyone check any other source for me, please?

Janet

Janet, FreeBMD is not complete yet, so it has probably just not been transcribed yet. If you look on a site such as ancestry, findmypast, or Family Relatives, they have the GRO indexes available to look at, though you have to pay. Also FreeBMD does have a lot of images of the index available for viewing for free so it may be on there even if not transcribed yet - when you go on FreeBMD's home page, click on the "View Images" button instead of the "Search" button to see what is available.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It's there in Q3

Southampton 2c 133

Comment

Kite and Merry,

Thank you both for your very quick replies. Thanks for the information on the View Images Button on Free BMD, I had not quite appreciated that one. Since the closure of the FRC I have come to rely quite heavily on Free BMD, so was quite mortified I could not find this marriage, but now very relieved to find I was not mistaken originally. Thanks once again for your help.

Janet

Comment

If you can't find an expected record on FreeBMD, it may be worth having a look at the Coverage pages which show you an approximate percentage of transcriptions per Quarter. It would give you an idea whether it's likely to be not there yet or not there at all.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine,

Thanks for that. I am just learning how much there is to Free BMD besides the actual records! :D An easy guide on how to use this and other sites would be very welcome to slower technical learners like myself.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
              Christine,

Thanks for that. I am just learning how much there is to Free BMD besides the actual records! :D An easy guide on how to use this and other sites would be very welcome to slower technical learners like myself.

Janet
              I haven't looked on the Wiki to see what's there in that topic - but if there isn't enough from your point of view, it might be worth adding it to the Wiki suggestions?

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine,

Thanks I will look into that.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                X