Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why would this be

hi there

could sks tell why would a birth be reg twice, i cant put the real names as these people are still alive so ive used fake names ok

mr bloggs married miss oops and they had the following children

1949 aaaa mmn oops
    1950 bbbb mmn oops
    1951 cccc mmn oops
    1954 dddd mmn oops
    1957 eeee mmn oops
    1964 ffff mmn oops
    1966 gggg mmn oops

and then nothing for 12 years until
    1978 hhhhmmn oops birth reg number 12 1055s
    1978 hhhh mmn blah birth reg number 12 1055s

the childs surname and place of birth and birth reg number all stays the same, but not the mothers maiden name, why would they change mmn from oops to blah

sorry if its confusing you with the oops and blah thing but didnt know how to ask without given any real names

They haven't changed the mainden name, they've indexed the birth under the oops name from previously and added Blah. Maybe Miss Oops had been married before or the other way round, though it doesnt explain why the other children weren't similarly registered.

I can only suggest you get the Blah cert to see what it says.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

so
      1968 march qtr
      bloggs, john, oops, bradford, 12 1055s

and directly under that is on next page

bloggs, john, blah, bradford 12 1055s

so you dont think theres anything unterward with it, ive not come across it before, i thought it was two different birth regs as one was at bottom of a page and the other on top of the next page all typed not handwritten, it was only because the reg numbers were the same,

Comment

I don't know. You;ll have to get the cert!

Unless you recognise the Blah surname?

Or if the names are common, ie baby is called John, it might just be two different families.

Comment

the name im looking is quite a very uncommon name honestly in a 39yr period there has only been 18 births registered in that surname, this is why im suspicious, maybe its my suspicious mind,

Comment

Simplest explanation - mum and dad were not married, so the child has a choice of surnames, both of which appear on the certificate. The births are registered once, indexed twice.

Nowadays I believe the Registrar asks what surname the child will use, but that is a recent innovation.

OC

Comment

You could look for an Oops=Blah marriage I suppose.

Comment

i know some times theyre are two entries for one birth when parents arnt married because me and my partner wernt married when we had our daughter,
                my daughter is reg twice, surname is her fathers, mmn is my name, then other reg is surname is my name and mmn is my name,
                but her mmn stays the same,

this child im on about his surname stays the same but his mothers maiden name changes

im just gonna have to get that certificate

thanks all for you help

Comment

Perhaps Miss Oops is not the mother of the last child - father registered the birth and forgot he had a different partner?!

OC

Comment

Perhaps Miss Oops was also known as Miss Blah hence it being indexed under 2 different names?
                    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

thanks old crone i been thinking that to, maybe it was something to do with the father, ie him marrying again and then forgeting, typical, i will look for marriages of him and two wives, also pos death of first wife, if no death for her then poss they got divorced,

thank you all again for your help. your all wonderful, i get so much help from you all, im always getting stuck, lol

Comment

Perhaps it is a different person booked in the same register? like if you look up marriages and get 4 people with the same ref no's

Comment

Oh, that's a good point James, I have that very same thing in my tree.

Drove me crazy till I phoned the registrar who confirmed that although child's name was the same, date of birth the same, father's name the same, mother's maiden name the same - it was two different births at two different addresses.

Later transpired the men were cousins who had married women with the same name, who were aunt and niece.

OC

Comment

They only do it to annoy us.

Comment

Nell

Oh, I KNOW they do! I can hear them still laughing after 150 years.

OC

Comment

well if they're not the same birth reg like you say, and are entirely different family, then why are the reg numbers at the side of eacj name identical, surely thats the number you use to send for the certificate, , ie both reg numbers say 12 1055s, both surnames are identical, both first names are identical, its just the mothers maiden name that has changed

Comment

hi all again ive found the answer, this john married again in 1976 and had a son with his second wife in 1978, i think he was the one that registered the birth and put the wrong mmn, like you said in previous message, ooo i bet his second wife wasnt too happy about that when she found out, she was prob straight back down to the reg office, so it is the same child, i thought it must be cos the reg numbers were the same so i checked to see if he married again , mystery solved, thanks all

Comment

Working...
                                  X