Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did OH's Gt grandparents marry so late in life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did OH's Gt grandparents marry so late in life?

I've finally found when my OH's Gt Grandparents married. 4 years we have been searching too.

I was expecting to find their marriage around 1879 as that's when their first child was born, only to discover that they didn't get married until 1910! Thank goodness M-in-L isn't alive to see this!

OH's Grandparents marriage certificate has Edward Weeks aged 23 marrying his spouse Harriet Malkin in 1902 in Kenilworth where Harriet comes from. Edward Weeks father is named as Edwin Weeks a signal man..

Edward Weeks birth Cert., July 1879 has his father's name as Edward Weeks, not Edwin. Mother as Mary Weeks formerly Hawkins. The family address is 9 South Street, Wells, Somerset.

I then find a Hawkins family living at 9 South St Wells in 1881. Head of the family is Williams Hawkins c.1825 a Butcher. 1871 show Mary his daughter aged 15 b.1856 in Wells somerset.

So why can't I find Edmund Weeks and Mary together with their son Edward in 1891?

I've traced the family up to 1901 where they were living in Corston nr Bath in the cottage that my OH lived in during the 50's and early 60's.

Edmund Weeks aged 51 and Mary Jane Hawkins, a Spinster, aged 51 didn't tie the knot until 1910 in Bristol in the Parish Church in St Phillips and Jacob, Bristol after having 11 Children!
    Edward, Tom, Reuben, Walter, Robert, Willie, Ernest, Frances, George, Sarah and Edmund Sam Weeks.

On the marriage certificate, Edmund Weeks father is recorded as David Weeks (deceased) a Labourer.
    Mary Hawkins father is recorded as William Hawkins (deceased) a Butcher.

Address for both is recorded as Star, Old Market St. Bristol. Witnesses Alfred and Susan Talbot...who ever they are!

Do you think that they sneaked off to Bristol to get married quietly so other family members wouldn't know that they had lived a lie all those years?

I'm waiting for their death certificates, Both died in the District of Bathavon..so suspect their address was still in Corston, Nr Bath in the 1940's.
    teresa

The usual reason for such an overdue marriage is a living spouse. So one or other was previously married - sounds like Mary was, to me.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      The usual reason for such an overdue marriage is a living spouse. So one or other was previously married - sounds like Mary was, to me.

OC
      I did wonder that myself, but there are so many Mary Hawkins marriages..It's like finding a needle in a haystack!
      teresa

Comment

1891 census - recorded as Weekes
        RG12; Piece: 1944; Folio 38; Page 6
        Elaine

Comment

1891 census

Corston

RG12; Piece: 1944; Folio 38; Page 6

Edmund Weekes 32, Railway Signalman, Cheddar
          Mary Weekes 32 Cheddar
          Edward Weekes 11 Wells
          Tom Weekes 8 Wells
          Rueben Weekes 7 Bristol
          Walter Weekes 5 Bristol
          Robert Weekes 3 Ryme
          Willie Weekes 10 months Corston

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I can do better than that, my gg grandparents Edward Chapman Barley & Septiana Anderton, had their first child in 1864 & didn't marry until 1908! Incidentally, they had 12 children.
            It was suggested that they eventually married to enable them to claim pensions, rather than because of any underhand reason. they did marry over the river from where they lived, probably because everyone thought they were already married.
            Lynn

Comment

I searched for years for my grandparents marriage. I knew Grandma had been married before, but was told she was divorced.

I eventually found the marriage in 1955. Mum was born 1928/1929 (no birth registered)

Grandma's first husband didn't die till 1990, so it wasn't that.

I'm presuming they needed proof of marriage for the "married old age pension" (in Oz).

She is "spinster" on her 1955 marriage cert, so wondering about the so called divorce.

It's amazing what you find in this lark...

Comment

Isn't it the 1881 census they are missing from?

Comment

Thanks for the 1891 details.

I've found Edmund Weeks aged 21 on the 1881 census living in Bristol, St James and St Paul Out.

He's stated as: a Boarder, born.abt 1860 in Draycott, Somerset, single, Occup: Railway Signalman.

No sign of Mary Hawkins/Weeks born c.1860 Wells, or Cheddar Somerset.
                  I've also searched for her by just usng her Christian name...no luck!

Still can't find their son Edward Weeks either who was born in 1869 Wells!

I think the aliens must have been on an abducting spree again.
                  teresa

Comment

Um, Edward was born 1880, according to the 1891 census!

OC

Comment

1879 Q3!

Comment

Edward Weeks Birth certificate states he was born 6th July 1879. Home Address 9 South St. Wells, Somerset.
                        teresa

Comment

Teresa,

I have only recently discovered my own Grandparents marriage in 1923 and as first child was born 1901, and last child born 1910, I was also left wondering why they should bother to have tied the knot when one was 58 and the other one 55, but with both having very common names and having travelled around the country from Scotland to London to Devon, I have been unable to track a possible first marriage, so you have my sympathy.

My only clue was that grandfather decided to go into business with a partner in 1923 so was grandmother worried that if she could not prove a marriage, that she would lose out if anything happened like grandfather walking off! He did walk off in 1929, just six years after marriage, so maybe she was right to be worried! Did yours have any Business dealings? I am left with more problems having found the marriage than before, when I was in blissful ignorance thinking she married abroad! Maybe looming pension forced them into a marriage, but they certainly hid the non-marriage very well as on 1901 Census they are down as married and even on a marriage of a sibling she is down as a witness and married in 1900! all birth certs of children show her former name!

On one of yesterdays posts you had put down Edward's birth date as 1869 but that sounds as though that was meant to be 1879 as you have stated above.

Not sure how you will resolve this one, if ever, but I will watch out for any possible clues for my own problem.

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 18-11-08, 10:25.

Comment

Edward Weeks definitely born 6th July 1879 Wells Somerset.

Still can't find him or his mother Mary Hawkins/Weeks or what ever she might be calling herself on the 1881 Census.

Found a few Mary J Hawkins marriages in Wells area to see who she might of married earlier..but still can't locate her. Arrrrggggghhhhhh

I wonder if somebody else has her marrying into their ancestor's family and can't find her in 1891, 1901 or deaths!

I have her......... alive and well up until she died aged 88 in July 1943 in Corston, Somerset!
                            teresa

Comment

Working...
                            X