No announcement yet.

How would you depict this on your tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you depict this on your tree?

Interesting senario on OH's side as follows:

family of Alexander Hargreaves & Ethel Taylor, now Alex and Ethel marry in 1924
    1st child Ethel (1925) dies at childbirth
    2nd - 5th children survive (1927-1932)
    6th child Alexander (1934) dies at childbirth as does Ethel the mother.

Now Alexander remarries at a later date but the children from his marriage to Ethel are all brought up by his cousin (we think, family wedding next week so I'll find out more), anyway this cousin Jane and her husband (who are childless) bring all the kids up sucessfully and the childern of these (inc. OH) all call Jane 'Nana' and have nothing to do with their biologicall gandfather.

Now in a true biological state Jane would just be a distant relly but as I'm after a true reflection of family history to pass on to the grandkids I think it's important to depict Jane some how, after all she had a very big influence on her nieces/nephews and their offspring, as a suggogate mother.

As far as I can gather there wasn't any official adoption she just took over the mother role and never looked back.

How do I show this on my tree? anybody else had a similar situation? any advice, help or comments welcome.

Regards
    L

If you have a family tree program, usually you can select an alternative parent and add the type of relationship.

Eg, you can normally add Biological, Step, Adopted. Some also allow others, such as Guardian, Foster etc.
    Tracy

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Why not simply add the true state of affairs?
        I.E. Show Alexander Hargreaves & Ethel Taylor as the parents of the six children and add notes to say they were brought up by Jane and her husband.

Why try and complicate matters?
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I agree with Guy. Surely your Family Tree Programme has a facility for notes. Some of the notes I have put for individuals in my Tree are a potted history or biography of that person.
          Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
            Why not simply add the true state of affairs?
            I.E. Show Alexander Hargreaves & Ethel Taylor as the parents of the six children and add notes to say they were brought up by Jane and her husband.

Why try and complicate matters?
            Cheers
            Guy
            I agree completely!
            I have 2 instances in my tree, where a child is bought up by someone else, rather than the mother... these other rellies are not however the Blood-line of the children and so I have used the notes section to explain the real relationship.

Penelope, You should be able to merge the SIL into the family as step-mother with the merge tool.

Comment

Family Tree Maker allows you to assign anyone you like as a child of the second or later marriage. It also lets you show natural parent and step-parent relationships.

One female ancestor married 3 times, with children from each marriage (the husbands all died relatively young). The eldest child is shown with 2 "step"-surnames on 2 successive censuses but married in her birth surname. In FTM I have shown her as the eldest child in all 3 marriages (with her birth surname).
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X