No son named after mother's father?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No son named after mother's father?

Found details of my 4 x great grandmother's baptism, Ann Bell to Ralph Bell & Elizabeth Hutchinson 1797 Barnard Castle, Co Durham. My only niggle is that of Ann's 13/14 children she didn't name a child after her father? So i've got my doubt's i've found the right baptism, should I be worried?.

Jay
    Jay

In one of my lines you would think there was a law that they had to use the names of all the grandparents when naming children, but in another line the name of the maternal grandfather seems to be the one that is always omitted.

It may be that there is a child with the name who perhaps survived for only a short time but in that instance a later child is often given the name, certainly it happens a few times in my tree.

Slightly off the topic but another line i have doesn't seem to have been researched (or at least posted online anywhere) but from the work i have done one christian name appears in 12 consecutive generations, somehwere that must be because of family history but it seems strange that the tree doesn't appear anywhere.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Glen

I have two like that, names appearing in every generation and in sibling generations back to the 1600's and I have spent many years trying to find out why these names were so important to every generation in the family. It is still bugging me that I have not found the reason. I have ideas but nothing tangible'

Jayg

In England the naming pattern was not as strong as in Ireland or Scotland so there will be nothing written in stone on why there is no child named after the father. Could be as Glen suggested and one born but died. English side did often hand down names like William/Mary/Richard etc but it might be in any order of children born.

Janet

Comment

I have an unbroken run of 15 generations of first son being named Thomas.

I often wonder why someone's mum or dad doesn't get a mention amongst the children's names - perhaps they didn't like them?!

OC

Comment

Another thing to consider too is that the names may appear but not always in the "order" you may think, George features as a christian name through several generations in my tree but sometimes it's the first born son, sometimes it's maybe the fourth or fifth son even if dad or grandad were called George.

I even have names that disappear for a generation then re-appear for a few generations in an unbroken chain, there isn't any rhyme or reason sometimes, having said that though, naming patterns can be useful indicators at times, especially when the surname is common in a small area.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

My nan had 15 children and did not name any after her Mother or Father, she named the boys after Kings of England and the Girls after Flowers, except one Daughter she named after herself.

Comment

Thanks for the posts, I won't get too hung up about him not been named as a child. Maybe they didn't like the name or even him far that matter. I just find it strange as 99% of my Co Durham families have the names repeated in all the generations.

I'm waiting until next year when the Durham probate records to 1858 will be online to see if I can track down a will for Ralph. With this & the 1911 census i'll next leave the PC LOL

Jay
              Jay

Comment

It would help if she had a son called Ralph, but the fact that she didn't doesn't mean she is definitely not the right Ann. But it does raise a question mark, I would think. If you can find a will for Ralph then it should help a lot, as long as it isn't one of those that just says "all my surviving children"!

I'm more or less certain my 4xg-grandfather Thomas Salter was the son of Farrow Salter, but have no baptism for him (they were non-conformists of some kind), and he didn't name a son Farrow as far as I know, but I think probably they didn't like it as a first name!
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

My gt gt gt grandfather Sylvester Ems didn't have any grandsons named after him - but he didn't name his sons with this name either!

Emmets Matthews, my gt gt grandfather had no sons with this name, but several grandsons with this as a middle name, and one grandson born v late on where the parents had run out of all the usual names!

My gt grandparents named their first child after paternal father and grandfather - but gt grandma was illegit and didn't know who her father was.

And my grandparents named eldest child with father's middle name and both grandfathers' names.

2nd child was given father's name.

No logical pattern there!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

are you sure ann didnt have a child who died young called ralph?

Comment

In my family tree the first name isn't necessarily the name they were known by.

Ralph may have been known by his second name....and that name used for his children.

I have 13 generations of Thomas.....but my grandfather was known as George because at the time of his birth...his father Thomas was alive as so was his Grandfather Thomas.
                      Last edited by flashieboy; 18-11-08, 05:28. Reason: correction

Comment

Redacted
                        Last edited by Penelope; 18-11-08, 10:33.

Comment

Of the 14 children found there's only one i've not for a baptism for. I suppose there could be another one or more but going off the ages/baptisms I don't think they could fit anymore in!

My main source has been the PR's & BT's.

Jay
                          Jay

Comment

Working...
                          X