A challenge for you experts !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A challenge for you experts !

This one has had me totally log-jammed for three years and I'm desperate to make a breakthrough.

My family name (Young) is rock solid back to the marriage of WILLIAM YOUNG in 1884 but I can't go back any further and would really, really, really appreciate some help (feel my desperation !!!).

Marriage Certificate details are ..........

Place: St Saviours Church, Paddington, Middlesex
    Date: 12/05/1884
    Names: William Young & Sarah Ann Duffin
    Ages: William - 27 years, Sarah - 26 years
    Address: William - 17 Shirland Road
    Father: William - Edward Young
    Father's Occupation: Labourer
    Witnesses: Sarah Anne Young & Joseph Reed

I can find no pre-1884 census return linking a William with a father named Edward.

There is a 4 year old William on the 1861 census with a visitor called Rebecca Young who shows as a widow b.1821 Yorkshire. There was also an Edward William Young who died 1860 in Westminster - but I can find no marriage of Edward & Rebecca and wouldn't edward show as "Deceased" on the marriage certificate ?

The only Rebecca Young that fits the data appears to be in County Durham and married to a Thomas AND appears on the 1861 census at home ...... could she be on the census twice ? This Rebecca does have a daughter called Sarah Anne Young too so fits with the witness on the marriage certificate.

Other clues might be that on all census returns after his marriage, William named his place of birth as "London" or "London, Middlesex". He never gave any specific place which is unusual. I believe he was a servant at the time of his marriage - his wife Sarah definitely was and I think they met locally as servants.

Additional Notes ........

The Sarah ANNE Young on the marriage certificate appears to be a definite Anne with an "e" rather than just the way it was spelt by the person who wrote it as Sarah ANN Duffin is clearly spelt without an "e" on the same certificate.

William has consistantly given his year of birth as 1857 and whilst I accept that you have to be prepared to look either side, he certainly seems to have no doubt that was his year of birth. With that in mind, the only "solid" four year old William on the 1861 census was the one with "visitor" Rebecca (b1821 Yorkshire). This William also cites his birthplace as "London".

Rebecca looks interesting but doesn't appear either before or after the 1861 census unless she is the one married to Thomas in Durham and who appears on the 1861 twice therefore. Both Rebeccas match on year of birth, area of birth, Thomas is a tailor and she is visiting as a bootbinder and rebecca has a daughter called Sarah ANNE Young but ...... where has London born William come from and why does she show as a Widow at the London address but clearly alive and kicking up in Durham ? Is William related but not hers ?

There are "London" born c.1857 Williams on the 1871 census either as domestic servants or in Common Lodging Houses. There are also "London" born c.1857 Williams on the 1881 census in similar domestic employment and/or in Common Lodging Houses. These could be him ...... without parents.

Anyway, all very frustrating and I would really appreciate any help and/or advice on this one.

No definite answers but

I have oodles of folk who just say "London, Middlesex" for their place of birth. It is maddening!

Husband has two great-great grandparents who are consistent about their births in Holborn and Long Acre, but I haven't been able to find them pre- their marriage. I strongly suspect that the groom at least of Irish descent and possibly born in Ireland - he later changed his surname to an English version.

The trouble is that so many teenagers worked away from home, and without a parent in the household you cannot be certain you've found the right person.

There are also cases of people whose fathers are dead but deceased not recorded on the cert, either because the registrar didn't ask, or the bride/groom didn't volunteer the information. And illegitimate children often invented a father for the cert, so that doesn't mean too much either.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I'd be uncomfortable with a tailor turning into a labourer, particularly as Edward had that occupation both before and after the marriage of William.

Also, I can't find the "sister" Sarah Ann(e) Young in 1881. Perhaps you have though? I would have thought there's a fair chance of her being married by then, which would preclude her being the marriage witness in 1884.

I feel the Bishop Wearmouth family are not the ones, but it's always easier to disprove something than to prove it and I haven't got any clever tricks up my sleeve for the origins of your William.

Comment

Some rather large swathes of London are missing from the 1861 census too. So that doesn't help matters much either!

All of Islington East
        Almost all of West London South
        All of Woolwich Arsenal (OK, that's Kent, but might be vaguely classed as London!)
        Part of West London North, sub to West London North District, London
        Part of London South West, sub to City of London District
        Part of London North East, sub to City of London District

See here for further details:

Comment

Have you already tried applying for a birth certificate for William? There are a few William Young births registered in Middlesex in 1856 and 1857, according to FreeBMD, but you could specify that the father's name has to be Edward on your order to save paying the full £7 for each one that turns out to be wrong. If you order any of them then make sure to check the page number on the actual GRO index image rather than just taking it from FreeBMD, especially as the indexes for those years are often quite hard to make out. I would start with the Williams who don't have a middle name if I were you.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite, can you please tell me if you can specify the father's name when you order online?
            I thought you just had to take 'potluck'
            I can't remember seeing a place where I could add any notes/requests on the order form.
            Thankyou

Comment

That's what I thought !

Comment

This link should explain it:
                Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service - Frequently asked questions
                KiteRunner

Comment

Where am I supposed to be looking ?

Comment

Much appreciated Kite.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul33 View Post
                      Where am I supposed to be looking ?
                      Question 11 and question 15 particularly should help.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                      X