Is it an 'I' or a 'J' .... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it an 'I' or a 'J' .... ?

and any other ideas would be most welcome.

This pic shows the back of a miniature which was given to my parents decades ago by dad's aunt.
    It's about 2 and 3 quarter inches high and the surnames mean absolutely nothing to me.
    I've googled, looked at censuses, Pallots and the IGI and HeatherD very kindly tried the BIVRI ... still haven't the vaguest idea who the people can be or even which country they were in

It reads

? J or I ? Scott

Married

2nd December 1821

A Maher

alias

Bowers

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

here's the front

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Could be Irish, couldn't they? Or maybe Scottish? Not sure whether the initial is an I or a J because there isn't another to compare it with.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

That's interesting KR

Dad's aunt was born in Dublin. As yet I don't know her mother's maiden name and her father is thought to have been Canadian or American (not the same father as her siblings).

Can't think why she'd have given dad a miniature of her father's ancestor, so maybe the link is via gt gran, although it does seem odd that she didn't say at the time.
        On the other hand, gt aunt was always slightly eccentric and never stopped talking .... information could easily wash over you.

Comment

If I was forcedto make a decision, I would say it was an I rather than a J, purely because the bottom loop of a J normally closes over the descender of the J, whilst the loop of an I is left away from the descender.

However, that is very flimsy and doesn't take any account of an individual's style of writing, even in engraving.

Not many men's names beginning with I, though!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC
            It does have more of an 'I' feel to it

Iain (my first thought) is apparently Scottish ... there's Innes listed in Irish names, Isaac in Protestant names and Ignatius in Catholic

Could be something really obscure

Comment

Baby Boy Names starting with I
              there are loads Rachel

Comment

Thanks Val
                It could even be a surname or one of those weird Irish things with a ton of letters that don't spell anything ........ pronounced Jon

Does he look Irish ? :(

Comment

he looks very Aristock like to me , wonder if you have blue blood ??

Comment

Don't put that idea in Rachel's head Val, we might have to curtsey!:(
                    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Don't know if he's related in any way ... gt grandpa on the Dublin census has his occupation as Tramway Labourer and they could all read and write ;)

Many years ago gt aunt did say something about Irish royalty .... haven't a clue what it was though
                      She talked so much that you either got a swimmy head or ignored it all (like her husband did)
                      They were devoted to each other, nevertheless

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                        here's the front

;) I'm sure I can see the likeness Rachel...EDI.X.

Comment

What a lot of mystery. An exact date, but an undecipherable initial, and alias and no idea where! Don't know if you could find a friendly antique shop that might be able to identify an I from a J or even say whether this brooch was made in England, Ireland or elsewhere.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks EDI

Hi Nell

This is what Barbara said

'the alias I think means the bride had been married before, so one of the names is her maiden name and one her last married, can't remember which way round they would put it though. Also sometimes a person would use a step fathers name, or if illegit would use the fathers though not legally entitled, but I cannot imagine they would put that on the back of a wedding brooch.'

Comment

could just be it was bought in an antique shop ???

Comment

Mmmmmm ... can't imagine her buying anything like that and the things she occasionally gave away tended to be her own

Comment

he looks very grand Rachel, and I would not have thought many could afford that sort of picture.
                                  Is there not the remotest sign of a signature anywhere??

Comment

Oh, now that's odd, I was reading something just yesterday about aliases.

"In common with Ireland and Scotland, married women in the Isle of Man were often referred to by their maiden names and burials will show aliases. It is not always possible to know which was the married name and which the maiden name"

For what it's worth, I think it is made of pinchbeck, not gold, as it looks very rubbed.

OC
                                    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 15-11-08, 15:54.

Comment

j for john maybe brenda xxx

Comment

Oh dear Brenda :D
                                        It could very well be 'J' ...

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                        Oh, now that's odd, I was reading something just yesterday about aliases.

"In common with Ireland and Scotland, married women in the Isle of Man were often referred to by their maiden names and burials will show aliases. It is not always possible to know which was the married name and which the maiden name"

For what it's worth, I think it is made of pinchbeck, not gold, as it looks very rubbed.

OC
                                        Well it's certainly beginning to sound as if it's of Irish origin then

I've looked for Pinchbeck (not heard of it before), made from copper and zinc it says on google, but is also referred to as a type of brass which looks like gold.

This is definitely not a yellow colour and I had assumed it was copper.

Comment

Working...
                                        X