X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help and thanks re Lignum Vita etc:)

First of all I would like to say thank you to everyone who helped with my
    MILLICENT HEAPS query the other day.

I am busy trying to sort it all out and wondered if I could ask a couple of questions please.

First of all - people are always talking about finding things on the IGI. Where are these to be found please? I always thought that people meant on Family search but I can't find the same things on there.

Secondly - I need to get some certs but I can't afford to get them all. Can anyone suggest which ones would be the most help in finding my Gt Grandmother MILLICENT please? -
    I have references for what I believe to be her childrens births before she was married (Hannah and Agnes Vita), though given the probable birth fathers names of Bonsall. Also the death in 1860 of Lignivitre Heaps who I believe was her mother. I may also be able to find the birth refs for her probable siblings, Eliza baptised 1850 in Derby and George baptised 1840 in Lincolnshire.
    Any suggestions which 3 or 4 of these would be the most help?
    I also intend to send for the death of William Bonsall who she married in 1873 and he died within weeks/months. Just out of curiosity to see what he died of :D

I still can't find any sign of her birth c1846/1848 or find her or the family in 1851 or the family in 1841.

I shall bump the thread up in case anyone would like reminding :o
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Chrissie the IGI is the Family search.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy. I was hoping that others knew about something I didn't as I never seem to have much luck on there. Maybe I'm not searching properly when I want to find the births of children of certain parents

Comment

You have to put in the names of the parents only and then the county and it will bring up all the children.
        Wendy

Comment

Thanks again Wendy. Do you have to put in the county though as they were gypsies

Comment

No not if you don't know where they were, but you will get EVERY baptism listed with those parents!
            Wendy

Comment

Chrissie,

If you are not finding any or many on the IGI, it may be that they are not on there at all. Many churches refused permission for the LDS to film the registers. I have only ever found 3 of my Northants ancestors on the IGI and only about five of my Irish are on the IGI, whereas all my Scottish ones are on the IGI. If I had relied on the IGI I would not have not got very far with my Family History. In fact, because so few Northants ancestors are on the IGI in Northants, that a marriage in Peterborough will have many people foxed because that is all that is there on that particular family. The rest of the family is about 15 miles away in a small hamlet, and they were only found by looking at parish registers, though Free Reg is doing a grand job now. Have you thought of trying the Romany Family History Society for Gypsy ancestors? Apparently their records are very good.

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 15-11-08, 17:35.

Comment

Hi Janet

Thanks for your reply. Although I have been doing this for ages I am still a novice at going back before 1837. What I really meant was that I have difficulty understanding how people found some of the things for me that they did find with the limited knowledge we had.
                If things pre 1837 aren't on the IGI is there any other way of finding them if you have no idea which county they would be in?

Comment

Chrissie,

It would be very difficult finding anyone without a county pre 1837 unless you have a very unusual name, and even then proving your connection would be difficult. The main way of finding ancestors and links to counties are through the census, but once you have gone back to 1851 then that is your last chance to find the county and the place as the 1841 Census will only tell you whether the person has been born in county or not, a straight yes or no which is not a lot of help usually. I was lucky enough to get my grt G fathers army docs listing his actual place of birth in Northants, which family I was then able to track back in the same hamlet for 150 years, but then they disappeared into another village. I had to use some detective work at that point to find the family in a village 3 miles away, using Militia Lists, Marriage Licences and Settlement Certficates at the CRO and looking for 5 members of the same family bap at certain dates, but not within the hamlet where my Grt by 3 Grandparents were baptised. With gypsies you are into a different ball game, but gypsies kept close family ties, hence the importance of lookng closely at the Romany FHS. There are links on the website I gave above which should be of some help to you. The problem with gypsies is they may never have been baptised so they will not be recorded anywhere. You have tricky situation but explore the Romany FHS to see where it gets you and keep looking on the IGI and Free Reg as there is quite a significant amount on Free Reg these days. Look very closely at 1851 Census for all known family, and any possible clues. Any photos with places named at the bottom of the photo, seen with magnifying glass? I found one Scottish ancestor in Hamilton Scotland by getting my magnifyer out. Any papers within the family to give you any hints?

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 15-11-08, 18:26.

Comment

Thank you so much for all that help Janet. It is a problem because I can't find Gt Grandma on 1851 and on 1861 and 1871 she gives two different places of birth and slightly different ages. However, there doesn't appear to be a birth for her anywhere. Surprisingly there are at least two of her siblings with baptisms listed though.

I will certainly go and have a look at that site (I hadn't realised that you had posted the link before) - thank you again.

Comment

First the IGI is not Familysearch.
                      Familysearch
                      FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records
                      contains many databases Ancestral File, Census, IGI, Pedigree Resource File, US Social Security Death Index, Vital Records Index plus many Family History Web Sites.
                      The IGI is only one small section of this site.

For a record to be on the IGI the “person” it records must have had at least one of the three LDS ordinances (Baptism, Endowment, Sealing) performed for them.

As a rule of thumb no IGI entry will be available for any person born within the last 110 years
                      The IGI is updated weekly so if a person was not there last week he/she may be there next week.

When searching databases such as the IGI give as little information as possible.
                      The less information given the more chance of a result.
                      Only if too many results are returned add more information.
                      Do a number of searches using different criteria (i.e. change the order of the information used to narrow the search) to narrow the research.
                      Cheers
                      Guy
                      PS Don't forget the pilot site at
                      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

For further records.
                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thank you very much Guy. That was very helpful. I like the pilot site - I have put it in my favourites.

You suggest not putting too much information in to IGI but that's my problem. I don't have much concrete information apart from the fathers name but the site insists on more than that. Everything else I have can be spelled in so many ways - especially the mother name.

Comment

Chrissie,

Go through the procedure slowly and intially make notes as to how you got there.

1 family search site
                          2 Click on Search Records at top of page
                          3 Brings up on the left

a Ancestral file
                          b Census
                          c IGI
                          d Pedigree Resource Files
                          e US Social Security Index
                          F Vital Records Index
                          g Search Family History Websites

4 If want IGI then click on IGI
                          5 Fill in box only partially
                          a Last name
                          b Leave Events as all events
                          c Region British Isles if looking at UK records. Unless you want thousands I would always click on the Region and verify place.
                          d Countries depends on whether you want England, Ireland, Scotland Wales but say click on England or leave as all countries. If know county click on that but if not leave as all counties. If a lot come up then you will either have to wade through thousands or home in on one county. Maximum to a page is usually 200.

Don't forget to click next at the bottom of the page.

5 Don't put in the First Name unless you are only looking for a specific person.
                          6 Don't attempt to put parents' names as this usually messes it all up!
                          7 Don't put in any dates as putting in dates can restrict and maybe preclude some individuals from appearing.

8 Once you have found your possible individual, then click on Batch at the bottom and another screen will appear, which will look blank except it will now have a batch no at the bottom and so in the box where it says last name then input the name of your interest eg Heap and NOTHING ELSE.

Don't forghet to either tick or not tick the box at the bottom where it says Exact spelling.. Ticking that box will bring up Heep/Heaps/Heeps etc

So the fact you only know person's name is a good point because then you will not be tempted to fill in many boxes.

Hope I have not been too longwinded! I know sometimes one has to do these things step by step until it clicks.

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 16-11-08, 13:02.

Comment

That's fantastic - thank you Janet. I have printed it off and I shall go and have a search following your instructions.

Comment

Chrissie

I was a bit worried I was being too basic but good luck.

One thing I forgot to say is that not all IGI entries will send you off to a batch No. You will only be able to use the batch Number if it has been noted.

Janet

Comment

Thanks again Janet. I just popped back after wading through 4 pages :D
                                I have to get the tea ready now so I shall make notes about where I have got to and what I put into the search.

Comment

Working...
                                X