Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would a man lie on his War records??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would a man lie on his War records??

I finally found my grandfathers records on Ancestry , says 7 pages but there are 39 ??? and no they arent copies .
    Thing is whats confusing me he starts off saying hes married and names her and the children.
    Later on he again names her and the same children and another ,but later on another sheet he says hes single and the only next of kin he has is his Sister who is in Canada??? his date of birth changes too .
    Again on another sheet he gives a completely different name and address for any correspondence.
    He also seems to be trying to say he had his teeth attended to while in the Army ?? and seems to be trying to claim something for that ., as there is a letter there saying there is no record of his having his teeth done while in the Army ???
    Would there have been some sort of payment due for his teeth or maybe he was trying to claim for something else ???
    I thought my fathers were confusing his fathers are worse.

Val, are you sure they are all for the same person, or could it be that there are several sets of records one after another? If you want to post up his name etc then we could have a look at them? Or PM it to me if you don't want to post it up.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Could men of similar names have had their records shuffled together?

Comment

oh yes its him Kite thanks has the right reg number and everything but I will give you the link if you dont mind just checking for me thanks .Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk
        this is the first page

Comment

I'm having a look at them, Val, but might not get very far tonight...
          KiteRunner

Comment

dont worry Kite no rush , Dave is kindly making some of the images more legible for me , but its the teeth busines I dont understand ?? why would it matter if hed had his teeth done there ???
            He also says he spent the first three months in South Africa but got invalided out then re-enlisted surely if he was invalided out he could not re-enlist ???
            Sorry lots of questions

Comment

sorry Jill wasnt ignoring you , I am almost sure its the right man

Comment

Thats ok Val, I'm looking through at the moment, though its nearly bedtime. I've had some strange ones on the few records I've found, eg wife lying about her marital status shen she married. Every answer raises more questions!

Comment

he even hit his Commanding officer which I did know about, as my aunt, his last remaining daughter told me about that.
                  Seems he and his oldest son joined up together ,although George was only born in 1899 and lied to join up ,somebody threw some water on the fire which burnt his son so he Grandad got up and beat him up.
                  Cannot find George's records though.

Comment

I think I have solved the reason why he would say he was single and give a different address for his correspendence , he would not have had to give my nan any of his wages would he ????

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, Val, but it seems a bit strange because the army surely already had details of his family on file. I'm still reading through the file and I'm not sure that it isn't two different people whose papers have been shuffled together yet...
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Val - when you get to image number 62169 I think that is a different man. He seems to have a different regimental number. You can see it at the top right. There are two numbers with one crossed out but neither are the same as the first lot of images.

Haven't got to the end yet so I don't know if this other Pte Millar's records are shuffled into your man's, or follow on after them.

Anne

Comment

I just looked at that again Anne and there is some writing on the top left hand corner which says next of kin sister Rose Miller address unknown and he did have a sister Rose she was one of the Barnados girls
                          Its all very odd isnt it Kite.

Comment

Right Val. Assuming the man who appears first with the number 48435 is your man.

When you get to image 62169 the record changes to a man with the number 19061 (also in the Warwickshires). This is the one with the sister in Canada.

Image 62177 belongs to your man. but image 62178 belongs to the other one. Image 62180 belongs to your man again!!!

Image 62180-2 is definately yours.

I think someone has files the two names together by mistake. The regimental number doesn't appear on all the records - strangely!! Alternatively your ancestor was leading a double life ;)

Anne

Comment

OK, having finished reading the service papers I have looked at his medal index card, and it is the same man because all those numbers are given on the one card:
                              MILLER Charles
                              R Fus 19061
                              AOC 039430
                              R War W 48435

Maybe he and his wife split up (or even divorced?), and he didn't want his pay to go to her any more? Not sure what the reason for the letters about dental treatment would be.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

he did have two reg numbers Anne 19061 and 48435 if you look at the letter 62156 it does say that

Comment

they did not split up Kite they went on to have 15 children, I and my family lived with them from when I was about 4 till I was 13 ,it is all very odd.
                                  Its also strange that he does not mention his oldest Son George on any of the records ,why not ?? could it be because he was in the army with him and he did not want them to know as he was under age ????? I wish I could find George's records I would not be surprised he signed up under an assumed name.
                                  Last edited by Guest; 15-11-08, 13:02.

Comment

OK - yes I missed that :o

He does seem to have lead a colourful life in the Army!

Did you notice that on image 62153 it says (under distinctive marks) Def teeth ... and something else....... So perhaps he was telling the truth about his dental treatment?

I noticed on one record it said his conduct had been 'Fair'. I thought that was very generous given his record. Perhaps he was a charmer as well ;)

Anne

Comment

Maybe they separated for a while and then got back together again?
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks to you both lucky I didnt believe the 7 pages isnt it ??
                                        He was a layabout my poor nan had a hard life with him , the only thing I do know is she used to tell me about the times when he got put inside, as she put it, she and the kids used to load up a wheelbarrow and move without telling him but he always managed to find her
                                        Yet she managed to live to be 99 and a bit
                                        Also his parents were German , which he seems to have forgot.
                                        By the way Anne charmer he was not LOL I did see that and wondered how he could be judged as fair after hitting his commanding officer???
                                        Last edited by Guest; 15-11-08, 13:19.

Comment

Working...
                                        X