Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stella installed update today and her PC crashed ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stella installed update today and her PC crashed ????

Poor Stella installed a update on her Vista PC today and logged off to complete the installation but when it came back she had a error message to say she had to put the recovery disc in which she doesnt have???
    Any ideas why this would happen ??? she is now PC less till her friend gets the disc for her.

When we tried to update as informed by Microsoft we discovered that our copy of Windows is not genuine.
    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

You wont believe it but my laptop has just gone off completely???? I'm now out here in the garage on my pc hope it doesnt crash cannot bear the thought of being indoors all weekend watching Tom watching the TV
      Did you find out why it said that Grampa Jim ??

Comment

Our PC is a third hand hand-me-down and apparently has not been licenced to us.
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

oh dear , so what happens with the updates then cant you do them ????

Comment

there was something on the radio today about free computers ... old ones (3 years old ?) shame I wasn't really listening

Think it must be a website like freecycle

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

its so annoying Rachel the Laptop is not even a year old yet

Comment

Unlicenced copies of windows are prone to causing problems as well as being illegal. They can be installed on a pc for a number of reasons, folks who build a pc don't always want to buy a genuine copy for cost reasons and use either a copy they have made themselves or may have come by some other way. A pc may have had a non genuine copy installed at some point during repairs.

In order to work out what updates have been installed and what may be needed a pc and Microsoft update sites "talk" to each other, part of the process is to verify the copy of windows is genuine, (and the software licence is valid) if it isn't then the updates won't work and problems can follow.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

actually Glen she bought it second hand on ebay do you think maybe its illegal ????

Comment

There is a way to check but she would need to be able to boot the pooter up first, if it is a dodgy copy then it usually says so when connected to the microsoft site before the update starts.

Off hand i can't remember how to check on XP, but unless the message "this is not a geniune copy......" came up it might be something completely different.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Wow!! I am back! My friend sorted it for me with a recovery disc. Told me that he has read on a site that this happened to thousands of folk yesterday all over the world!!
                      Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Its good to have you back posting Stella
                        Jacky

Comment

That's a relief Stella ... Val will be delighted

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

will I ??? Rachel YYIIPPEE

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              will I ??? Rachel YYIIPPEE
                              YES :p

Actually I thought you'd be delighted to know that it might not just be a problem with your own computer

Comment

but it is , rang the today and its dead again.So annoyed with it .

Comment

:( what do they say the problem is and is it still under guarantee ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                                    Its good to have you back posting Stella
                                    Thanks Jacky and everyone.
                                    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

it seems its a power problem so they say Rachel but who knows ?? and yes its under guarantee

Comment

Did Stella try to download the dodgy update again, if so that would have killed the computer again?

I would always urge extreme caution when downloading updates even from the likes of Microsoft. Always ask the question, is this update required before updating? If it is not required do not update.
                                        Many of Microsoft's updates cause problems with people's computers and one should always ensure the computer has been backed up and has the install and recovery disk handy in case of problems before installing an update.

As for genuine copies of Windows there is a common problem with Microsoft not recognising genuine copies of Windows and refusing to update the program.
                                        I have even heard of Microsoft accepting a program as genuine, updating it then baulking at the next update claiming the program is not a genuine copy.
                                        Cheers
                                        Guy
                                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
                                        X