I am genealogically fed up! (Moan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am genealogically fed up! (Moan)

I have spent almost all day, since 9a.m., chasing ONE stupid ancestor.

There are three couples, same names, same ages, same occupations, so I decided to trace all three of them right from 1841 to 1901 to see what transpired.

They don't know how old they are. They don't know where they were born. All their children have the same names. Everyone flits about all over the world between census, change their wives, then get back with the old wives for another census. They swap their jobs to things which MIGHT be in keeping with what they did before - or might not be.

I am really no wiser than I was this a.m. and considerably more confused!

OC

Sounds like my Ingleby's OC ....... I have sympathy
    Jean
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Sounds like they were too busy getting on with life to worry about paperwork:D

Comment

Oh dear, what a pain. Any wills?

Comment

Try some h*******k for relaxing the brain.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

OC

I sympathise. I have various folk who appear to be related, but are nicely vague about it "my niece Mary Price" mentioned in a Will. Well, whose child is Mary? Is Price her maiden or married name? Why does she have children with names identical to another family who don't appear to fit in as the dates are all wrong?

Maddening lot! At least my Norfolk rellies haven't proved too difficult to sort out, except for an errant father and 3 of his disappearing sons.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Ah, you wouldn't really like it if they were straightforward and easy, now would you?!
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

That's what's so infuriating - there almost certainly is a will but I don't have a clue how to access it (Isle of Man).

He was a "Landed proprietor and retired farmer" so I'm sure there would be a will.

Two men, same name almost identical ages, die within a couple of years of each other in the same place and both left wills in the IOM.

There's a bit in our WIKI about IOM wills and probate, which I have follwed through to an infuriatingly vague site which tells all about wills but not how to get copies of them! I am going to have to join the IOM FHS I think.

OC

Comment

The FAQs page on here has an email address which you could try

General Registries FAQ's - Isle of Man Registries Website

Jackie
                  Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie, I'll try that when I have formulated an understandable question, lol!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                      Try some h*******k for relaxing the brain.

Mods could someone please ban UJ for saying such a thing. 13yo's might read this. We could be corrupting them.

OC I know how you feel. I have been searching FMP and Ancestry passenger lists trying to get one man to arrive in the country given he left it 6 times. I have discovered his 2 wives and child but no idea how he gets back to England.
                      Kit

Comment

Kit

He was a stowaway of course, hiding under my relative's coat!

This is unbelievable...each of the three couples has a son Charles. Each Charles marries an Ann. Each Charles is on the 1871 with his wife and his mother, yippee!

Erm, not yippee, each mother is called Ann and is the same age!

OC

Comment

I bet they had a right old laugh in that family, "nobody ever gets us right, they're always confused" - you bet!

Like my gg grandmother and her sister who BOTH married James Gibson! It turned out there were two James Gibsons (thankfully!!)

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            I have spent almost all day, since 9a.m., chasing ONE stupid ancestor.

There are three couples, same names, same ages, same occupations, so I decided to trace all three of them right from 1841 to 1901 to see what transpired.

They don't know how old they are. They don't know where they were born. All their children have the same names. Everyone flits about all over the world between census, change their wives, then get back with the old wives for another census. They swap their jobs to things which MIGHT be in keeping with what they did before - or might not be.

I am really no wiser than I was this a.m. and considerably more confused!

OC
                            "Welcome to my World" !

(Don't suppose any of them lived in Dorset - we seen to have a similarity to the rabbit breeding programme there as well)
                            There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                              Like my gg grandmother and her sister who BOTH married James Gibson! It turned out there were two James Gibsons (thankfully!!)
                              That reminds me of my 2xg-gf, William Scoins, and his brother Thomas. Both married women named Mary Vicary; both Mary's lived in Chulmleigh, Devon, and both were born in 1827. Fortunately for me, my 2xg-gm was born in North Tawton (she moved to Chulmleigh with her parents when she was 6 or 7), so she can be identified on later censuses.

Tim
                              "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

That's what's so infuriating - there almost certainly is a will but I don't have a clue how to access it (Isle of Man).
                                This site

Isle of Man Genealogy Links - geneology

seems to have an index of wills 1630-1920 for the IoM.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                  This site

Isle of Man Genealogy Links - geneology

seems to have an index of wills 1630-1920 for the IoM.
                                  but how much hope do you hold out for a site that can't spell genealogy correctly?
                                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                                    but how much hope do you hold out for a site that can't spell genealogy correctly?
                                    OK:

Index of Wills, 1630-1920, main index

:p

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                                      That would be a slight worry if it not for a site i saw recently that gave a "how to" for beginners and insisted on repeated use of the words "huzband" and "farther" :o:o
                                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Was that a Zummerzet site Glen?
                                        Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Comment

Working...
                                        X