How would you log this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you log this?

My Grandad was born William Thomas SIMES (his father was William Henry Thomas SIME)

One of his sisters was registered as SYmes The other 4 were SImes

On the death cert of his mother he was the informant William SYmes

On the 1901 he was William SImes

On his Marriage cert his name is William (Henry) SYmes

On my mums Birth cert he is William (Henry) SYmes

On his Death cert he was William (Henry) SYmes

On an old army document his name is written William SYmes But signed William SImes

My Nan's married name was SYmes

I keep changing his name on GR!! :D

What would you do?????
    Rosi

We are the famous CFC

Unless there is an exceptional difference, I normally record each individual as recorded on Birth Cert or Baptismal entry. I found 12 different spellings of my name in 9 Generations.

The concession I make on that is where the Parish Clerk has been trying to show off his Latin. No way am I going to have an ancestor who was born, bred, lived and died in Oxfordshire and who probably was known all his life as Bill recorded as Guilielmus!

Of course in my Notes, where I put copies of Census returns, newspaper cuttings and other discovered information, I leave the name as it appears in the Document, even though my Grandad's Mother Phoebe is recorded as Telica in the 1881.
    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

I have SYMES too, though fortunately my direct line so far are all baptised/married/buried and on the censuses as SYMES, though I have one sister's baptism as SIMES. I'm stuck at a baptism in 1794 though, so there could be earlier variants. I **think** I have the parents marriage in 1775.

Rosie, mine are from around Shepton Beauchamp/North Curry then moved to London in the 1860's- where are yours from?

In general, I use the modern spelling but cross-refer when the parish records vary. I decided to do it this way because one of my main surnames HAKIN has often been entered in the PRs as HAWKIN, and these names are actually from 2 completely separate derivations. The earliest spelling - 1660 - is HAKIN.

I also have a completely separate line of HAWKINS, so this helps to differentiate between them.

Edited to Add: Its laziness too, as FTM defaults the children's surnames to the father's, and it gets to be a right pain remembering to change it.
      Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 13-11-08, 19:20.
      Vicky

Comment

Hallo Rosi

I tend to go for the most recent spelling and use it for the family group, but put in notes any variations with the events in which they occurred.

I do have people who make a change halfway through their lives and I show this by putting the original name in brackets.

I think I have very few ancestors whose surname has survived unchanged.
        On my Dad's side

Barns/Barnes
        Grey/Gray
        Mathews/Matthews
        Garvey/Garvie

Unchanged names: Browning, Dunt, Moore, Nash, Webb

On my Mum's, only Brewer, Broad, Pope and Williams remains unscathed. I've got:

Choun/Chounes/Chown/Chownes/Chowns
        Emmes/Hems/Ems/Emms
        Malen/Maling/Mailin/Mellin/Melling/Mealing
        Purvy/Purvye/Purvey
        Smoothey/Smoothy
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Rosi,

Your Grandad didn't wander off in the direction of Bournemouth in 1909, did he? Or did he have a brother Francis who might have?......Because I'm missing a grandfather. :D

Maybe we're related!

Bee.

Oh, and Vicky, there's a place in west Wales called Hakin. (Pronounced 'hake-in' locally. Maybe they came from there originally.
          Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
          COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
            Hi Rosi,

Your Grandad didn't wander off in the direction of Bournemouth in 1909, did he? Or did he have a brother Francis who might have?......Because I'm missing a grandfather. :D
            I know you've already asked me wondered if you know who his father was (from his marriage certificate) - because I have a gap between 1852 & 1863 where there could have been more children born anywhere between Somerset & London.

Originally posted by Bee View Post
            Oh, and Vicky, there's a place in west Wales called Hakin. (Pronounced 'hake-in' locally. Maybe they came from there originally.
            Yep, that's how we say it now, though I suspect because of the HAWkin spelling the "A" sound was originally more like "AW" than "AY" It must have been the combination of North Yorkshire accent moving to Northumberland that got it distorted.
            My gt uncle reckoned that the name HAKIN was derived from Norse, the area they were from in North Yorks is known to have been settled by Vikings. The place in South Wales has definite Viking origins too, so he was probably right. As far as I know, there is no connection between my HAKIN family & South Wales, and I don't think the surname actually appears there. Its just very annoying when trying to Google it.
            Vicky

Comment

Working...
            X