When born in Ireland??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When born in Ireland??

Hoping you can help me again........One of many mysteries.

In my research I have discovered in the Staffordshire 1901 Census that a Great Grandmother had returned to Wolverhampton from Ireland and the census shows her living in her Mothers family home with her first child age 1 month.Child shown as born in Ireland on census paper.( I always understood that the father worked in Ireland for Guinness Brewery and she went with him) I have contacted Guinness , no record of him but their records are not complete.The question is,,,,,,,,

I can not find anywhere the birth registration of that child in England
    would the child have to have been registered in Ireland at that time?

Plus was there a Census in Ireland in 1901? Father not to be found anywhere.

There are records of the above couple living in Wolverhampton after this event with many more children to follow.

If the child was born in Ireland she would be registered in Ireland. There was a census in Ireland in 1901. I don't know if its available online, but I expect the answer is in the Wiki somewhere.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Not much of the 1901 Ireland census is online yet but it is supposed to be coming soon. If you can get to an LDS Family History Centre which has the Irish GRO indexes then you can search for the birth registration and get the reference numbers to order the birth certificate from the Irish GRO.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Dublin South has 1901 online at the Irish Family History Foundation site

Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

Dublin North 1901 isn't there yet and I'm not sure if there are any plans to add it

Dublin North & South both have baptisms for around that date so it may be worth trying for those.

Dublin City doesn't have any records on there at all as they don't have a Family History federation covering that area.

You do randomly get Civil Registration (GRO) showing up on there but I haven't yet figured out how the coverage works - it's definitely not complete coverage though.
        I get some hits for my family in Kilkenny but none of the ones form Dublin

I'm concentrating on Dublin as that's where the Guinness Factory was (my great grandfather worked their too) but if that's not true in your case then you can do a general search for the whole country. Some areas still aren't online but you can check the map to see what's expected when.
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
          You do randomly get Civil Registration (GRO) showing up on there but I haven't yet figured out how the coverage works - it's definitely not complete coverage though.
          I get some hits for my family in Kilkenny but none of the ones form Dublin
          You can find out more about coverage by using the map to go to the individual county pages rather than the main Ireland page. For example,
          this page for Dublin North: Swords Historical Society
          or this page for Dublin South: Dun Laoghaire Heritage & Genealogy

You can then click on "** For a detailed list of the records that are searchable, click here" which will bring up a list of sources. (however, some county centres, such as Antrim and Down, do not have their source lists online yet)
          Using the individual county pages also allows you to narrow down your search by parish.

Zoe, in your case, the Kilkenny page lists quite a lot of Civil Records: Rothe House Trust Ltd - Genealogical Sources Available Online
          but the two Dublin pages don't list any:
          Swords Historical Society - Genealogical Sources Available Online
          Dun Laoghaire Heritage & Genealogy -Genealogical Sources Available Online
          Last edited by Cloggie; 13-11-08, 06:28.
          Sarah

Comment

Born in Ireland

Thank you, Little Nell,Kite Runner,Zoe,Sarah,
            for taking the time in responding to my query this is very much appreciated.

This will be my project for this weekend.
            Once more into the valley dear friends.

Wulfruna....Melbourne Australia.

Comment

Working...
            X