Ww1 Discharge Papers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ww1 Discharge Papers

does anyone know if its possible to find someones army papers even tho they only have his discharge papers. would the number on the form be the same as his reg.number.

jean

i would think so,have you looked on ancestry i have got 23 pages on a great uncle who was killed in france 1917.his will and other personal things like what he had on him,sad he had,2 notebooks,1 threepenny bit,photo,s and a religious book.hope you get what your looking for brenda xxx

Comment

Jean, if his surname begins with a letter in the range A-N then if his papers have survived they should be on ancestry. If he is in the second half of the alphabet then you would have to search at The National Archives in Kew or wait for ancestry to load them. But a lot of the WW1 service papers were destroyed in a fire.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

sorry for the delay in replying, I forgot I posted a request. lol

he is my grandad the ellusive William Herbert Dempster, finding out from my newly found first cousin he was born in edinburgh 1898 and moved to liverpool area when he was about 5-7yrs old, he was in the manchester regiment, but we cant find anything about him either on the 1901 census or war service/pensions records. someone had a look for me at the scottish records office but couldnt find his or his fathers birth anywhere. his father also called william. I have posted request about him many times and have received help but we still cant find him.

jean

Comment

What details do you have from his discharge papers, Jean?
          KiteRunner

Comment

it gives a serial number think it says No.1 preston, cant read the rest, then the number 8618, he was in the manchester reg, as a training reserve, he enlisted at seaforth, 29/12/16, discharged 18th something 1919 due to injury. I have asked my cousin to forward me the discharge paper in colour as I cant see this one very well, I think the details are correct.

jean

Comment

When you get the colour copy maybe you could scan it in and post it up on here? I can see a William H Dempster, Private in the Manchester Regiment, in the WW1 medal index cards on ancestry, but his number is 57134.
              KiteRunner

Comment

o.k. thanks for that, will get back to you later if thats alright.

thanks
                jean

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  When you get the colour copy maybe you could scan it in and post it up on here? I can see a William H Dempster, Private in the Manchester Regiment, in the WW1 medal index cards on ancestry, but his number is 57134.
                  There is another medal card on Ancestry for W H Dempster, reg no. 27134. I've just been checking and this card is the sort that was for the issue of the silver war badge and very often there was another card for medals.

The thing that makes me think it is right is that it says DPT. MANCH. REGT., enlistment 29/12/1916 discharge 18/6/1919 under KR 392 xvi (the Kings Regulation paragraph that applied to soldiers who were no longer fit for service). The dates tie in with those that are on his discharge papers.

It seems too much of a coincidence that the numbers are 57134 and 27134

What does anyone else think?

Jackie
                  Jackie

Comment

I agree with you! lol

Comment

Ooh, sounds very likely indeed. How did I miss that one?
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                      X